Removing power steering?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Removing power steering?

Post by sdoan »

I would like to remove the power steering from my 84 and when removed there will be 4 openings in the power steering gearbox. Does anyone know if they need to be plugged or if there needs to be a reservoir of oil left in the power steering box? I thought I'd read on here that you could just disconnect the the hoses, but haven't found it.

Thanks,

Shawn
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Re: Removing power steering?

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I disabled the power steering in my '86 by disconnecting the belt. I will say that parallel parking is more of a pain in this is one than in my non-power steering '84, it requires notably more effort to steer at very low speeds.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

Yeah, I did that this afternoon, but I want to remove the whole shebang and get the pump and hoses outa my way. I'm so used the the basic no options cars that the power steering and AC seem really weird and in the way. I should probably just go ahead and plug the holes where the lines go into the steering box.
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

You should actually loop in the input and output lines together so that fluid can circulate when the rack is moved.
sdoan
Top Notch Member

Post by sdoan »

teranfirbt wrote:You should actually loop in the input and output lines together so that fluid can circulate when the rack is moved.
I wondered about that, but it seems like more work. OTOH I probably already have all the parts I need to do it. Thanks.