Carb

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

Thought so.
It sounded like the fuel pump from the word go.

Once you get it changed, things should settle down fine.
As I mentioned, you should remove the rocker cover. It lets you see the fuel pump arm lining up on the camshaft with no problems.

Just remember to do this whole swap with the engine nice and cold. The last thing you want is fuel hitting a nice, hot exhaust manifold...
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Huh. I dunno how hot my manifold gets, but I was able to full-hand-grasp my exhaust pipe half-way from the muffler to the cat just 10 minutes after a 14 miles spirited drive. That bad Thermostat really doesn't like to let the engine heat on up. Hope my mileage improves after I replace both things. I'm going to the Credit Union and Napa during my free period tomarrow.

How do I remove the rocker cover?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

I dunno about a non-modded Tercel, but I just remove the three nuts on the top of it. Then there's a lug sitting out from the cover over the block at the rear left, opposite the fuel pump. Grab a hold of that and pull up...

You might need to remove your aircleaner first, but seeing as I've got the Weber, I don't need to.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I was SAYING that you won't have any bearings left IF you keep driving it with gas in the oil. And...IF you are running it with the thermostat open all the time...you will have accelerated engine wear. If you are lucky...no serious damage done yet.

If you are going to take the valve cover off...you might check to see if you have oil running down the driver's side of the engine...this means you need a new valve cover gasket set...good time to replace them.

The thing about spirited driving doesn't sound so good...you have a wounded car.

I would say NOW....fix the REAL PROBLEMS...fuel pump...thermostat...then do the fun stuff like pouring Seafoam into it to watch the smoke pour out.

But...you CAN do whatever you want...but THEY will be watching you....and if you abuse your car...THEY will know...and you might end up spending time in the hoosegow. Not sure what that is...but I don't think it's fun...... :huh:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I just went to NAPA and bought the pump, fuel filter, thermostat, and can o' Sea-Foam. I intend to get them installed ASAP.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Alrighty. Both pump and stat installed, I'm going to put off the filter for now as the current one looks ok. I just have to fill up the radiator and take her for a spin! Tomarrow I'll buy some new oil and get that changed. Or I may just say hi to the local Jiffy Lube.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Well, it ran great for a while, then it started getting this weird jerk to it. Kind of like a piston or two were mis-firing yet no noise went with them. Just a weird jerk. Any thoughts?

Just changed the oil - Quaker State High Mileage 2 quarts and the rest Quaker State Peak Performance. Both 10W-40.
The oil that came out reeked of gas and was very black. Guess the gas was playing as a solvant and nuking the deposits or something as that oil was only 500 miles old.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Shouldn't need to flush the oil real soon?

Might check your spark plug wires.

I can't even change the cap & rotor and get the wires back on the cap right....had two wires on the cap backwards...same thing.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...