stupid question seeks easy answer - remove brake light cover

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

stupid question seeks easy answer - remove brake light cover

Post by dlb »

Hey, need to replace the brake light that sits in the rear window in my 86 Terc, how do you get the plastic pins out of the light cover without snapping the heads off?

I know, not the most tech question on the board here but I really hate breaking small stuff like this. Thanks!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: stupid question seeks easy answer - remove brake light cover

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You don't - at least, mine snapped off, despite the greatest of care. Most parts stores will have replacements, albeit black only.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

this sometimes work: spray wd40 or similar light oil behind the head, use two putty knife or similar flat tool, one from each side, and work it back and fourth. If no movement, increase the outward pressure to extrac them, once the little plastic teeth or leaves fold over it it will pop right out. Sometimes you can work them out without breaking them, but not always. if the plastic is not too brittle it will will pop out and you can reuse it. I found I can reuse them about half the time using this method.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

the tiny center peice , you only push 1/8 " in (NOT 1/4 " or you screw) to release outer plastic peice , you pull out whole outer peice by small screw driver or dinner fork , before you install , remove tiny peice out of outer plastic and install outer peice in FIRST then put small inner peice in till flush to outer peice . I just tested my other two tercel , it works every time in the past.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Awesome, thanks so much for your help guys! I'm going to be doing quite a bit of work on mine (I just got it, an '86 SR5 with almost no rust) so I'm sure I'll be asking for lots of tips and advice on here in the near future. I'll post some pics after I paint the SOB.