pops out of 2nd gear... easy fix?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
864wd

Post by 864wd »

Hi all, another little problem we've had ever since owning the turtle is that it pops out of 2nd when decelerating. My brother's '87 4wd wagon does it as well.
Is there a detent or something worn in the tranny, or could it be shifter related?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Unfortunately that sounds like a bad clutch hub in the transmission. Just like the worn synchromesh that alot of us have, you would have to take the transmission apart to fix it. The shifter on these cars goes right into the transmission so there's no linkage to get messed up. It must be annoying to drive.
864wd

Post by 864wd »

It's not too bad, it doesn't pop out if the revs aren't very high when shifting down into 2nd. I'm quite good at holding the shifter in place when gearing down :P
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Mine pops-out of first sometimes when "engine~brakeing",not that often ;) .I also have trouble getting out of 4wd :o ,so I just wait till I come to a stop and then it works.Minor desine errors,Im guessing :rolleyes: .
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Will it only pop out when you first let out the clutch? My old tranny did that in 4th when it got bad, sometimes it would pop out and make a grinding noise while the shifter bounced back and forth. That tranny failure was explained away by the Redline oil that was black and thin as water, so it doesn't have to make us less confident about our trannies holding up. It might worry anyone who is using Redline synthetic though.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Odd. Is is normal to have a clunk from under the cab when putting on/releasing the throttle, especially in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd? Almost like the teeth aren't tight and slap against each other on the gears.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
864wd

Post by 864wd »

Actually the thing doesn't pop out of gear immediately after letting out the clutch. Seems to be more rev related, anything above 2000 rpm or so seems to make it pop out when slowing down. I don't really use the engine to brake much. Brake pads are cheaper than drivetrain wear...
And that clunking thing seems to be typical on these cars. you have to be pretty ginger with letting the clutch out or they bang...
Teddy1
Advanced Member

Post by Teddy1 »

The 2nd gear popout thing COULD be shift bushings, but, unfortunately, it's not likely.

I agree with 3A-C, the ODDS say, it's internal to the transmission.

And, I dunno about you guys, but, it's against my religion to open transmissions. I just pay the transmission shop for that stuff. Trannies are VERY busy on the inside, and AUTOMATIC transmissions SEEM to use alien technology. I just don't do it.

Regarding Typrus, and his clunking... THAT is the tranny mount... if you feel a clunk under your right foot, as you press the gas... it's the tranny mount. Whenever the tranny mount is replaced, you might as well replace the motor mounts, too (or else THEY start clunking... check to see if the bolts/nuts came loose, first). Don't let a tranny bang around TOO long, because the torsional/axial play can start fatiguing the sheet metal under your car, and/or screw with driveshafts, etc.

- Teddy
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

No 3A~C,it dosent pop~out right after clutching.Typicaly,it happens when there's torq on the tranny from throtle variance from,say, de~aceleration or fluxuation after a speed~bump. :) With mine I can put it back in first and it wont happen again that day. ;)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

3A-C Power wrote: That tranny failure was explained away by the Redline oil that was black and thin as water, so it doesn't have to make us less confident about our trannies holding up. It might worry anyone who is using Redline synthetic though.
Hey 3AC...did you ever come to a conclusion on the Redline oil...did they ever analyze it?

I can remember checking my trans one time when it had at least 1/2 Mobil synth oil /1/2 reg gear oil...all of it 85W90.....the oil was right at the lower edge of the opening and what ran out seemed real thin....which bothered me at the time.

It's possible that it separates and the thinner oil ends up on top?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...