Weber OUT / Toyota IN

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Weber OUT / Toyota IN

Post by Mad_Marx »

My 86 DLX has about 120,000 miles on it, the original Toyota carb was replaced with a rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago. The rebuilt started leaking so I replaced it with a new Weber DGEV. I've had problems getting the webber to idle below 1,100 rpm No matter how much I mess with it. Also can't seem to get it to start when it's cold, I had this problem with the original toyota carb. I was getting 28 to 29mpg with the Toyota carb around town, with the weber I'm geting about 23, but have noticed significant mid and upper range rpm power increases. Any weber gurus out there? If I can't resolve these issues I'll soon be rebuilding the Toyota carb and selling the weber. I use my car as a daily driver and weekend camping rig, reliability and mileage are my main concerns.

Thanks,
M_M
Last edited by Mad_Marx on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Weber OUT / Toyota IN

Post by splatterdog »

If your throttle cable isn't too tight and the idle speed screw is all the way out that only leaves a vacuum leak.

Did you reuse the heated spacer? My 84's was toast where the heater wires were grommeted thru the phenolic plate. One thing to look for...

A vacuum leak would also make it hard to start as your mixture needs to be at its richest. Choke snapping shut? Then pulling open after starting?

Spray light controlled shots of carb clean pausing briefly at every thing between the carb and cylinder head while running and listen for a change.

Don't give up on the weber just yet. Both mine always get at least 30. Max recorded was 34.8 on my 85. And I was nowhere near ideal conditions for maximum mileage. Owning a T4WD is about as far as I go for hypermiling. Also, my 84 can easily cruise at what used to be max speed.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome to the Club!
Don't take this the wrong way, but - did you do any Searching here for Weber info?
As splatterdog mentioned, check the cable tension; I had this same problem and the cure was more slack on the cable than I'd thought. Did you use the Weber POS linkage or wed the Toy bellcrank to the Weber (the latter method is much better)? There were some recent posts and pix to this effect: http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... ank#p33319.

The Weber is a little bit harder to start in cold weather, and STL ain't Bemidji. It (apparently) does not retain much gas in the float bowl, so if the car sits for longer than a day, it requires one or two restarts.

As to the economy - I'm getting about 29 in mixed driving, which is barely above what I got with the Toy carb; it is a little disappointing - BUT - the flexibility is much improved; no more bucking and rpm cycling and many more etcs (all of which were on the OE as well as two rebuilt Toy carbs). All emissions equipment has been removed.
Overall, I am pleased.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986DLX (K.I.A. by a Texting Driver, currently being uses as a parts car) 1986 SR5 AC, Cruise, Sunroof a.k.a. TERC II Electric Boogaloo (restoration in progress). 1984 SR5

Post by Mad_Marx »

First off, yes, I did check here before and after my weber swap, also saw the new pics, I used the Weber linkage, but may try going back to the toyota linkage with the weber. thanks for the responses.

M_M
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Had to put some miles on yesterday. Did a very accurate mileage test. Filled to the cap before and after and got 32.1 mpg with about 500lbs of people/cooler and sustained speed of 70-80mph.
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

my weber ildles at around 750, my only troubles with the carb have been the power valve

my guess is that its a huge leak, it happened to me and it was a cracked manifold
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
8liter

Post by 8liter »

Guys I rebuilt my toyota carb on my 85 3AC and had zero problems with it. Check the ignition timing or vacuum leak.
No replacement for displacement......
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

Intake leak confirmed, can't see it, but the rpm change when carb cleaner is sprayed on the intake manifold tells me I've got a leak, so I'm off to the pick a part to find a good intake before I tear into it.

More updates as I progress

Thanks to everyone for the help!

M_M
buffalomesa
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Dlx 2WD Wagon

Post by buffalomesa »

I'll add a suggestion for the bellcrank on the Weber swap. As others have said, the linkage included with the Weber kit is absolute garbage. Add that I have a new throttle cable on my Tercel, and there was no way I was going to cut the end off the cable. The stock Tercel 2-piece bellcrank isn't a great solution either. When you install it on the Weber, it'll work, but the geometry isn't great. I spent quite a bit of time looking at other bellcranks at the junkyard, and finally settled on one from an 88-89 carbureted Corolla. It puts the end of the cable exactly where it should be for the best travel, and it's a one-piece, so no problems with overtightening or slipping.

Basically, I spaced the Corolla bellcrank as far out on the shaft as I could using a couple of washers. I then installed longer studs in the intake for the throttle cable bracket so it could be mounted higher. I drilled the mounting holes oversize on the throttle cable bracket so I could move it closer to the carb (to match the centerline of the bellcrank), and spaced it with washers till it was a straight run from the cable to the top of the bellcrank. I did have to move the cable to the edge of the slot, but I didn't have to weld an extension to the bracket.

The results? Completely smooth throttle travel with no binding, great heel-and-toe feel, and now over a year of hassle-free Weber driving. The only improvement I made during that time was my swap from a manual choke to an electric choke Weber. Next up will be my swap to a lower-profile Lynx Weber adapter, a cast aluminum old-school Redline air filter, and possibly an Italian DGV carb. I'll have to lower my cable bracket to suit the new adapter, and I'll probably go with aluminum spacers instead of washers for a cleaner look.
Mad_Marx
Top Notch Member

Post by Mad_Marx »

I seem to have the Intake leak resolved, Had some damaged threads on the bolt hole for the intake (2nd from the front of the head on the bottom row) So had to drill out, tap, and helicoil to get good threads that would hold torque. After re-assembly and testing (with a can of carb cleaner around every gasket mated surface) No leaks found with engine cold or at operating temperature. I still have some tuning to do, but it starts from dead cold now without issue, and has a nice smooth idol at 800rpm. Much Thanks everyone for the help.