Tachometer Question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
caperren
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Toyota Tercel

Tachometer Question

Post by caperren »

I have a 1983 Toyota Tercel and want to attack a tachometer for idle adjustment purposes. This is the tachometer that I am going to be using. Image I picked this up at a thrift store and have not had a chance to see if it works. However, I need to figure out where it needs to attach to the distributor.Here is the picture of my distributor. Image There are only two wires coming off of it and I know that one of them is the one that I need to attack it to. Image From what I have found it would be the black on with an orange stripe, but I'm not sure. However, there is also this orange, possibly with a white stripe down the side, wire attached to the same set of wires that I would maybe guess would be a direct connection to the wire I am looking for. ImageThere seems to be wire going to the coil for testing purposes in the manual but i am not sure which on it is. Any help is appreciated.
Other Pics
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Tachometer Question

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Look at page MA-9 of the FSM (close to the beginning of the book).
There should be a lone wire culminating in a cylindrical "plug" that has a cap. This is the place to hook the tach. This is in the same "bundle" from the distributor which contains the wires of the pictured green connector, but is separate from them. This does not appear in your photos. It is important to use this connector for the tach hookup.
The white oblong plug in your photo is for the AC compressor (which you apparenty do not have).
Also - Actron has a site with downloadable info on their instruments - have you checked that?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If it's like the ones I've seen...you have 2 wires that power it going to the battery...and a signal wire that picks up a signal from a plug wire. Hook it up wrong and it will be toast? Or your dist will be....
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

caperren

Post by caperren »

Thanks for all of your help so far. I had seen that in the manual before but could not figure out where that wire was......I just took a closer look under the cover for the wires and found this white wire that had been cut.... Is this the wire I am looking for. As for how to attack my tachometer it says on the back that I connect the black clip to any ground in the car and the red clip to the coil ground. This is a self powered tach, it doesn't need to be attacked to the battery. Doesn't sound too hard, but I need to know if that white wire is the one that I need. Here are some pics of the wire. I appreciate all of your help.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

caperren -
I will be posting a pix of the assembly in question later tonight - as soon as my 'puter decides to "recognize" my camera; it is acting a bit capricious. Sorry for the delay.
And, toughtercel - I deleted your posts, as caperren's questions do not involve the instrument cluster - no hard feelin's, I trust.
Tom M.
EDIT: Here you go!
..........Incidentally - did you check out Actron's site for info?
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
caperren

Post by caperren »

Thank you for your help....I have a feeling that someone previously installed an aftermarket tachometer and then for some reason, removed it. I will see my car later today and will check to see if that wire has been cut and put inside the casing. The picture of it is a great help. I'll see if I can find that wire later and hook it up if it is there. :D
caperren

Post by caperren »

Thanks ARCHINSTL.....After looking at your picture it took me five minutes to uncover part of the casing on that bundle of wires and find the blue one. The previous owner must have had it removed. I hooked my tach up to it and it worked great. Thanks!!! :D :D :D
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

Post by toughtercel »

what is the point DELETE the coment , incase if some one didn't know ,it can replace ORGINAL TOYOTA CLUSTER into ORGINAL TOYOTA TACHOMETER CLUSTER , trying to help . you should delete when there was bad language in the forum , i had funny feeling last week because i made comment about "RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY RUST REPAIR" and to my surprise next day my comment not there , check and check now that is twice .
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

in my car when i used one mine was orange, it was a autometer memory tach
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come