Ciggy lighter not working

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Got to drive 500miles to Adelaide from Melbourne (Aus) on Thurs and wan't to power my ipod through the cigerette lighter..

I have the ipod adaptor but the cigerette lighter doesn't worked.. replaced/checked kick panel fuses (footwell) and under bonnet. all seem OK..

is there another fuse that I may have missed or ..

can I just rig up with some gaffa tape a power lead (say off the radio) and earth to the ipod adaptor (not sure if the amperage and all that stuff is correct).

cheers in advance!

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

hmm i hook up a power invertor to my cig lighter, so i can plug anything into the car (that doesnt take up more than 150 watts anyway). I'm planning on getting one of those extensions so you can plug in 4 or 5 cig-adapter items, so i can add 4 lights and my blacklight on the dash uses the power invertor (got it from walmart for 15 bux, was made to be put in the house lol).

To answer your question, i believe there might be a way to get another cigarette adapter from another car (all the same size anyway) and hook it up directly to the battery, just like an amplifier would. Or, there are power invertors (like the one i have) that don't plug into the cig lighter but directly to the battery, so if your iPod has an AC adapter to plug into the house, you can use the power invertor to power it up. I used to do this in the tercel, i had computer speakers with a sub in the back seats, and a portable cd player, all hooked up to a power strip which is connected to the power invertor, and it powered everything pretty well :) Shouldn't be too expensive either, as an iPod doesn't require that much voltage to power on B)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi IcE
Is there a more temporary way around this as I'm not going to get time to take this into the electric workshop or get parts

can I attach the end of the adaptor to the earth and the prongs that stick out the sides to a power lead?

I will aim for a more permanant solution on return from South Australia

cheers
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Mattel wrote: can I attach the end of the adaptor to the earth and the prongs that stick out the sides to a power lead?
Probably need to be sure your POLARITY is correct...(+) & ( -) ........
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mattel wrote: Hi IcE
Is there a more temporary way around this as I'm not going to get time to take this into the electric workshop or get parts

can I attach the end of the adaptor to the earth and the prongs that stick out the sides to a power lead?

I will aim for a more permanant solution on return from South Australia

cheers
Hi Mattel,

I would recommend checking both the fuses (as you have) as well as the wire that attaches behind the cigarette lighter. I've seen these wires slip off before, especially if someone has had your temperature control bezel apart before. You could take apart the bezel and asociated parts enough that you can make sure the wire connector is attached behind the cigarette lighter.

Your radio power should provide enough power for your computer (if not, it'll just blow the fuse). I'm fairly certain that the tip of the cigarette lighter connector is +12V, and the ring (sides) are Gnd. As Takza said, make sure you check this.

Good luck.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE