Power Valve?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
russkiypenguin1
Top Notch Member

Post by russkiypenguin1 »

Interesting responses. I don't have money to make a decision until Friday. I'll let everyone know what I decide. To be honest, since I'm geting 16MPG before the problem with idle I'm sort of eager to replace the entire carb. There's something else that's causing me to get such lousy fuel efficiency. But that's another $200 and I'm tight on cash. But I'm also tight on time and my backup vehicle sucks gas down like it's no joke.

I'll let you know.

p.s. Poison Ivy sucks.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Could you post the info on the Holley or Weber carbs? i.e. how much do they cost, what are the model numbers, how much of a power change can be expected, how much of a mileage change can be expected. What else is good to do with a carb?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

<a href='http://paradiseracing.com/pictures.html' target='_blank'>Weber Carb</a>
Here is a Weber carb. Someone here bought it and is now putting in a 4A-GE.

Go to here <a href='http://www.carparts.com/' target='_blank'>Carparts</a>
Make sure you select 1983 Tercel as the car and year otherwise the Holley carbs won't come up.
Select fuel/emissions and then select carb kits and components and Holley carbs should show up. Hope this helps.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My tentative opinion on the 3AC carb is that without the EGR...O2...EVAP....etc...the carb is probably somewhat the equiv of the Weber carb. And this gets you the best MPG....cause the emmissions addons are there to reduce emmissions...not gain MPG. You do need some of the surrounding vac accesseries to keep it working right though. A new cat converter will help clean up most emmissions?

If you have to pass emmissions...you'll need to keep the stock setup.

Best bet from an economical point of view would be to buy a kit and rebuild it...just don't go down in a basement with a can of carb cleaner 20 feet from a working furnace like I did once. :blink:

If the rebuild doesn't work out...you haven't spent that much & still have other options.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...