4AGE swap into 85 4WD

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: 4AGE swap into 85 4WD

Post by SynthDesign »

The trans that came with the car only has 45k on it. It was purchased new in 94 from Toyota and is possibly one of the last new replacement units Toyota sold before they ran out. Honestly, I just hit it with a wire brush and some Mother's aluminum polish. It was super clean to start.

Back to wiring today and tomorrow.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

So I got the fuel pump figured out. It was actually easier than I could of imagined. So Yeah! The 85 to 87 Corolla GTS fuel pump sender assembly, part #23206-16170, is a direct drop in for out T4WD tanks. All 6 hole match up perfectly as well as the three grommet nubbins. The pump sits perfectly in the middle off the baffles pretty much where the original pickup went with less than 7mm from the bottom of the tank to the pick up screen. Under the vehicle the lines clear the vehicle nicely. Almost like our Tercels should of come with Fuel Injection and an electric fuel pump or our tank is closely shared with the Infamous AE86 GTS. The fuel hardline should be pretty easy to make. I opted for a hardline instead of a flexible hose for reliability and durability.
tank 2 sized.jpg
tank 3 sized.jpg
tank 4.JPG

Wiring is getting closer to completion. I'm working out deleting the clutch start switch which my 85 didn't have originally. Few other things to tie up including lengthening a few wires.
4A-GE wiring sized.jpg
Also got the oil cooler nicely mounted with lines and installed the thicker cored radiator as per Petros' recommendation.
oil cooler sized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SynthDesign on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

When you get the clutch start "feature" deletion figgered out, would you make a separate posting in Repair Guides?
My '88 Dodge/Mitsu p'up does not have that "feature," and its absence was invaluable in 2010 when it got vapor lock on a busy 4-lane road here at rush hour. I was able to "starter-move" the truck almost a hundred feet to get it off the road (no one would stop to give me a push).
Personally, I'd like a clutch start feature delete switch (bypass) rather than eliminating it altogether, just in case my increased dotage takes over one day.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Stalled at the moment due to Monetary Issues. I need about $500 in parts, including the header and exhaust, to get the 4AGE tercel finished up. Not in the budget for the next few months as work has come to stall.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Nice thread I picked that up on google as I'm building something similar a 81 tercel with the 4age I'm not as far in but gettin there. What did you do for your flywheel , so far I went to a machine shop and he will fill the holes back up and redrill and than if it works good ,lightening it. He's charging me 300$CAN I think it's fare. And I'm stock with a mr2 intake got to find the ae86 one.
Dont let your eyes to fool you!!!

Labine R.
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 81 tercel sr5 GTS (4age RWD and 4WD application on build up for the moment) now im running a 3a with weber 32 dmsa 100,corolla gts front suspension, sway bar and steering, troush exhaust

Post by Lil Beast »

Petros wrote:I have recently looked over a AE86 front suspension and cross member, I doubt it could be made to work, it is much further back on the car than on the tercel, it has a totally different suspension design and since the car is rwd, none of the suspension parts are interchangeable. It uses trailing link/radius arm, that has its own mounts, to locate the lateral links (this is what keeps the wheel from moving forward and aft), while our car uses the front anti-sway bar through some rubber donuts to locate the lateral arms.
It would be true for the first generation tercel has it bare the name of corolla
I got one and made it to fit with a tiny bit of cutting and grinding has for 2nd gen I've worked on as well it would need bracketing for the radius rod nothing too serious I believed as I'm trying to fit a rear diff on my 81 to make a drifter it would be worth the try since I did it I can fly thru corners without the feeling of stretching or vibration I've got all poly-urethane bushings, suspensions table, swaybar, trailing rod, tie rods and ball joints from a ae86

Labine R.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Where did you get the urethane bushings for the suspension? Many of the rear axle bushings should also fit the Tercel4wd.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member

Post by Lil Beast »

I used energy suspension bushings for an 85 corolla gts not FX for the sway bars end link(straight fit)and mount to body(required some cutting to fit they are way bulkier and greasable) will probably work on yours for the mount and maybe rear end link. I haven't did much on the rear yet as I'm gonna fit some bracketing for a rear axle and its fairly stable as of a lack of speed you know. One idea that came to my head for ur 4wd try to find a 1st gen tercel 79 thru 82 for the crossmember I'm almost sure it would fit the wagon if so you could use the ae86 suspension by drilling new holes in the tower, cutting the trailing rod bracket out and rebolt them(or use megan racing one's they are bolt on) it would be a pretty easy mod. I got to do some work on my friends wagon Ill try to remember to take measurement of the crossmember and let you know.

Labine R.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Good mention on the AE86 Stuffs. This car has already seen a fair bit of conversion.

Haven't been able to do too much since the accident but was able to play with the wiring harness a bit.
harness in engine.JPG
Harness in.JPG
Maybe have the exhaust header in the next few weeks as well as the crossmember spacers too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I thought you were running a modified AW11 strut bar - did it not work with the 4AGE?
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php? ... bar#p48692
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Tom, the modded strut tower bar is currently on my wrecked 85 T4WD, AKA The General. I haven't tried it out on the 4A-GE swap yet. At this point I'm more interested in getting it started and running before I deal with the suspension and stiffening.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Ah, a week or two away from test fire and someone else beat me to it. Oh well, hopefully this write up was instrumental in helping the shop who did the work get it done.

So the header is here, crossmemeber spacers will be done this weekend, and yes I had a few extra pair made for some forum members if they're inclined.

As soon as I get the OK from the Doctors, I'm gonna get the fuel hardline bent and installed. I can't tell how much it sucks to not be able to work on my cars because of a stupid car accident. The General hasn't moved from where the tow truck dumped it :(

I've got the majority of the exhaust figured out, I just need to figure out some heat shields, unibody mounts and decide how to run the pipe over the rear axle or do a side dump.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
tobiastercel
My tercel:: Earnestly Scouting

Post by tobiastercel »

oh man synth
i did not realize that you were injured as well as the general. i am sorry to hear that.
as far as the test fire goes, you should do a youtube video like you had for the general. that was great to see it start up for the first time.
and seeing how we have all been routing for you the last couple years... i am sure our excitement would be similar to your own. (maybe not quite as intense though) :)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

tobiastercel, Thanks for the care. It's appreciated. And yeah, I totally will have a video of the start and drive as well. And yeah, still dealing with neck and back pain.

On that note, a bit more progress.
The crossmember spacers turned out nice. 20mm thickness.
IMG_0010 (2).JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Lil Beast
Top Notch Member

Post by Lil Beast »

I kind of realize few posts up that your afm is in the front and now it's plugged in the rear of intake, so it's good to know that the mr2 or fwd intake fits the tercel, cause I tought it would'nt work so I ordered a set of cbr600rr itb's of ebay in case but then I would have to go aftermarket computer pricey option, haven't try to fit mine yet it's my daily driver, I need it until I got everything, but thanks to you one less thing to keep in mind. So far so good only a spec stage 4 clutch and inline fuel pump away from having my list fullfil at last it's been a year I'm accumulating.

Labine R.