4AGE swap into 85 4WD

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Re: 4AGE swap into 85 4WD

Post by SynthDesign »

Mattel wrote: hope this isn't a threadjack... I just wanted give Synth a little inspiration.
Thread jack..... heck no. That's so BAd ASS... Thx for the pics post.
Again you Aussie got it so much easier for the swap.
The U joint are on the right side.. I bet your clutch cable is super long, or does the RHD use a different arm on the right side of the trans instead?
Ps I LOVE the scoop. What's if off of? Ebay special? I think I'm gonna lift the hole center section with a Camero scoop.
Were you also able to clear an AE86 exhaust header or did you fab up a custom one?
And for a paint job like that, you gotta have chrome rear view mirrors!

Yes, Much Inspiration :D

Petros is being a great help. I should have a chinese T304ss exhaust header by the 20th of Jan from Ebay. Hope it fits w/o too much modification.
I think I have most of the parts figured out and here. I still need to order a few things including a clutch. The wiring is being a bit of an issue. Really because I'm just being paranoid.

I hope it all comes together soon though. I'm gonna need the garage space in another month or two for other stuff. I gotta due a head gasket on my 4ac T4wd asap because it's undrivable now.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

Mattel,
Can you source out the Toyota part # for the clear turn signal covers. I wonder if they are the same for JDM which we can order into the US. I really want the clear ones ones for the Silver Bullet. If you could find me some and ship them to the US, I'd be up for it if I can't find them here.

Again Sweet ride!
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

That car was on Yahoo auctions Japan a few years ago. And I was seriously thinking of buying it and getting it shipped, the car was only about $600 US to buy but with about $1500 to ship - still kick ass Terc! probably got sent to Russia with most of the other JDM fleet. I have seen a few JDM Carib sprinters in Melbourne before - nothing as special as this one though!
When I originally posted it everyone mentioned that it looks like it had the original radiator in it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

SynthDesign wrote: I bet your clutch cable is super long, or does the RHD use a different arm on the right side of the trans instead?
It's a different arm. I bought a JDM trans and had to swap the arms.
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

is a JDM trans any better than the USA version that we have?
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

JDM isn't any different in build quality or anything.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mattel,

Great paint job, nice Tercel! Those look like the oversized North American bumpers, not the normal sleek Euro ones I usually see from Down Under, the head lights and grill look like the American norm too.

Synth,

The AE86 header should fit in the Tercel, I measured the distance between the frame and fender wells/strut towers on an AE86 GTS and compared it with my '84 Tercel side by side, and they were exactly the same width. The only issue of course is the steering linkage, which is the only reason the header should need to be altered, if at all. With re-routing the P/S lines it should improve clearance. The clutch cable will have to be carefully routed and/or shielded from the heat (not a major issue) and it appears the brake master should not be a problem. The fuel filter and fuel line will have to be rerouted of course to the EFI side of the engine. It is just as well to get all the fuel lines away from the exhaust side anyway.

I suspect altering an AE86 header would be much easier that building one from scratch to fit the Tercel. It is a good plan, if the cheap header works out well it might be worth considering getting a higher quality header out of stainless to alter, or at least thicker gauge tube for better durability. I can hardly wait to see it, and then to build my own.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Update:
The header is in. As Petros thought and as others from Australia have stated, the factory 4AGE header should fit. It clears The universal joint as well. Unfortunately, the 4-2-1 header I got off Ebay is going to require a bit of modification. It's a bit taller in the double pipe section and will need to be cut and bent down to clear the unibody underneath the car. I'm really temped to grab the BFH and pound the unibody to clear. Its about under the brake pedal is on the floor. If the factory one didn't clear you could easily bend it to fit.

So the next thing is figuring out the fuel pump and lines and pulling the motor back out to be rebuilt and laying up the wire harness. I feel like I'm already a month or two behind as it is.

When I have an 8 bolt flywheel I'll call it half way. Thx again Petros for the help.

I'm contemplating fab'ing a front lift kit even more now. It would solve the hood clearance and header issue and I'm planning to do it eventually. I just seem to start more projects( yes I'm working on the stickers too if you've seen that post.)

I'll post picks when I can find a camera.
if the cheap header works out well it might be worth considering getting a higher quality header out of stainless to alter, or at least thicker gauge tube for better durability
The 103.00 to the door one I purchased off Ebay is NICE. Alright for being made in China it's Beautiful. Good welds, clean bends, high polish, EGR & O2 bungs. The tubing walls and flanges are nice and thick and it's non-magnetic so I'm guessing it really is 304SS. I'm happy
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

That is kind of cool!!! :? I wonder how it now sounds when it starts.... Any YouTube vids???? :lol:
K-Business
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

[quote="terceldude"]That is kind of cool!!! :? I wonder how it now sounds when it starts.... Any YouTube vids???? :lol:[/quote.

I couldn't find any info on the header I got. It looks close to the TRD make. I'm not looking for hp gains or anything like that, but I bet it will sound great with a 2.25 system the whole way back.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

SynthDesign wrote:Update:

The 103.00 to the door one I purchased off Ebay is NICE. Alright for being made in China it's Beautiful. Good welds, clean bends, high polish, EGR & O2 bungs. The tubing walls and flanges are nice and thick and it's non-magnetic so I'm guessing it really is 304SS. I'm happy
Sounds great, I can't wait to see it. I wonder if I should get one at that price, do you have a direct link to purchase them or is it through an ebay store only?

It also occurred to me that I have the stock manifold from the AE86 for my 4AGE engine, although cast iron and not easy to alter, the head pipe from the flange down might be easy to adapt to the Tercel. Have you looked into that? Or does the header fit in the tercel better all the way around?
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Udates:
.... I found a camera..
I'm 100% comitted to the swap now. No going back. The 4AGE is gonna go in and work!
Picks have been uploaded and update
http://picasaweb.google.com/synthdesign ... lverBullet#

Pics of the header
ae86 ss header sized.jpg
ae86 ss header 3 sized w idea.jpg
ae86 ss header 2 sized.jpg
It won't fit with out modifying it. I tried the BFH too.

The original exhaust system is off. I've pulled the gas tank off as well. I've been looking at the corolla gts fuel tank and it seems to have the same depth and mounting diameter and bolt pattern as our tercels. I think this is the best way to adapt fuel injection and intake pump. I'm going to run to pull-a-part and see if I can track something compatible down. Maybe from a Camry or something?
gas tank 3 sized.jpg
I've been looking further into the front lift kit. I'll start another post regarding it.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

That is a very nice looking header for about $100.

I got you another flywheel today from list member logbear (I looked over his removed trans and clutch while I was there, a new clutch is not a bad idea for him). I want to take dimensions off of the flywheel to make a drawing for lightening it. I will deliver it to the welder on Monday or so, along with my spare for the same mod. As soon as it is ready I will deliver them to the machine shop for redrilling, lightening and balancing. I am going to have the machine shop resurface the clutch face while we are at it so it will be like a new flywheel.

It turns out the welder's shop is only about 2 blocks from my work, so there is not much extra effort for me and I am happy to do it. And the machine shop is only a bit further in the same neighborhood. Depending how busy both the shops are, we may actually have special modded flywheels within a week or two.

Question on the fuel pump: is it possible the round fuel pump mount is the same size and shape as the sender unit mount on the Tercel? they look kind of similar. Also, the normal Corolla tank should be the same as the GTS tank presuming both have EFI. Were there some normal Corollas that were EFI from '84-'87? I would think the fuel tank would be the same if so. The few rwd GTS fuel tanks with pumps I have seen on Craigs list or ebay they wanted something like $100+.

Most use an external fuel pump when converting an engine so as not to have fuel tank issues. The gasoline Mercedies benz use external fuel pumps, most of the "economy" racers look for those to use in their race cars. Might be worth a look at Pull-a-Part.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Okay, the flywheels are delivered to the welder. They should be ready to pick-up and deliver to the machine shop by friday.

The shop was full of cast iron blocks and heads, many are from very old and rare cars and other wheeled vehicles where replacements are not available. It looks like this guy knows what he is doing, he says he has not had any repaired engine block come back.

To keep the flywheel from warping and to normalize the weld it has to be heated in an oven to near glowing red before it is welded. That is what the other shop did not know, and why the damaged it. It is always worth it find the right shop or person to do the work, it save time and money.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Question on the fuel pump: is it possible the round fuel pump mount is the same size and shape as the sender unit mount on the Tercel? they look kind of similar. Also, the normal Corolla tank should be the same as the GTS tank presuming both have EFI. Were there some normal Corollas that were EFI from '84-'87? I would think the fuel tank would be the same if so. The few rwd GTS fuel tanks with pumps I have seen on Craigs list or ebay they wanted something like $100+.
I think all the carbed cars had a smaller round fuel pump mount than the efi cars. I pulled another pump from an older Celica. $6.00 at pull-a-part. I think there is enough room just to redrill the holes to fit in the larger diameter efi fuel pump bracket on the smaller diameter mount. This is what was recommended to me from some of the guys on the Hachiroku forum for their 4age swaps. The other think I was worried about is the baffling in the tank might have to be moved or removed to clear the pump.
I ordered up 20 feet of 3/8 Aluminum gas line and some fittings. I also grabbed two flexible connector lines from a Cressida while at pull-a-part.

I'm glad Cast Iron Repair is the right place and it will be done right. Thx again Petros
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)