4AGE swap into 85 4WD

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Re: 4AGE swap into 85 4WD

Post by gatemaster »

An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
gatemaster
Top Notch Member

Post by gatemaster »

Hey guys hows the project going? :wink:
An engines potential to produce power is based
mostly on it's cylinder head design.
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

I think both Petros and I have way too much going on and have stalled for a bit. I'm still in the process of working out the wiring. I decided to go with a stand alone system, MegaSquirt, and Petros, I beleive, is going about the way of splicing the two harness together.

I've been wanting to try a stand alone system for a while and think this is the project for it. I've got a tuner friend rounding up all the parts and figuring out what I need. I've been spending a fair bit of time checking out this website, http://www.diyautotune.com/ , and learning.

Petros has come through with a beautiful lightened 8 bolt flywheel and I am still working on the exhaust header.

So more than anything, we both need to get our blocks to the machine shop and back together.

I've got a burnt valve or two and might look for another running big port head to swap to.

I'm also looking for a manual rack out of an SR5 with the engine crossmember. I have a Quaife rack arm and pinion that should fit. The possibility of a short ratio, 2.1 lock to lock, steering is too alluring and makes the exhaust header an easier fit.

Lots of decisions still. Lacking time is the biggest problem.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

Post by SynthDesign »

As the rain sets in, it's time to pick up the projects again.

I just picked up my block from the machine shop. Now to assemble it and start figuring out the logistics of it all.
4age to build.jpg
More updates as they come.. At this point I need to decide on a clutch and pressure plate and ECU options.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i just re read the whole thread, good luck on the build !!
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

shogun wrote:i just re read the whole thread, good luck on the build !!

Dude, thanks.

Also did a bit of research C.A.P. clutches are a no go..

Do not use our Clutches for racing or any situation where engine RPM`s may exceed manufacturer`s specifications for the engine. Pressure plate can explore unexpectedly causing serious injury or death to vehicle occupants and bystanders. Clutch cover and bell housing will not protect from exploding pressure plate.

The tercel one is rated for 6,300rpm , I'm lookin for around that with a rev limit @7,000rpm. so it looks like SPEC is about the only option and I heard some bads things here and there on the forums.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Bottom end of the engine went together fine. The head is ready to head off to Seattle Community College Autotech, gotta love free labor, and be overhauled. Oil pan is prepped for the oil cooler line fitting to be welded in. Things are coming along. I've spent close to 20 hours scrubbing nasty parts and am pretty sure I still got a number of things left to clean.

I've gone back and forth on ecu options and have decided to go the Tweak way and Phoenix Tuning handle the wire harness to the factory ECU. I'll cost me $400 but be much less than MegaSquirt and also allow me to copy it later for others.

Now comes the fun part of making sure I have all the parts and ordering everything else that's needed. I sold my 1ZZ-FE and that's about the only reason I have money to do this tight now.

Pictures of Progress:
4age short block.JPG
IMG_0004 (2).JPG
This is what I ended up with for the oil pan baffel.
oil baffel plate.JPG
Clears the pan 3ac pan fine now.
IMG_0003 (2).JPG
I've also worked out what I want to do for the chassis set-up: Tarmac and Gravel
For the front I'm going to run a set of 2WD Tercel struts with with AW11 mark A Bearing plates with 4WD springs. This should drop me just under 1.5" off the front and still keep it stiff.
For the rear, I'm going to attempt to cut down some pathfinder springs to level the back with the front. This should make the rear end nice and stiff.
Lower Center of Gravity=Less body roll.
I check about and I can "Officially" run 14x6" wheels w/o being penalized class wise. Euro Spec shows 13x5" and 14x6" wheels were available for the model range. Funny, I can put a duel over head cam engine in and no problems as long as it was period correct and engine Series correct. Just had to be an A-series engine.
So 195/60/14's on a set of 80's 14x6 Aluminum wheels with some good rally spec tires should do the job nicely.

Still working out what to use for the chunky and rutty setup, but something around stock height.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Yesterday I ordered a SPEC Stage 3 clutch, ST393, and pressure plate as well as dropped off the injectors for service. There went a big chunk of money I hadn't really adjusted for. The clutch kit ended up being $300 and is rate up to 152lbs of torque. A bit more than the stage two which was rated for 98lbs. The Fuel Injector cleaning, mapping and matching ended up being almost $150. After doing a bit of research, I figured it was much safer to have them serviced than have one or more fowled and mess up the engine. Especially after spending this much time rebuilding the engine. Petros recommended running injector cleaner thruogh the fuel system, which I think would be fine if the engine was already running, but with the engine swap and break in down the road, better safe than sorry.

While I'm waiting on the head to be finished up, I started going through wiring and playing with the fuel pump placement.

Two ideas for the fuel pump thought out by Petros were:
Install a pump in the tank(Internal) and plumb it to the motor with a high PSI fuel line
or
Install a pump in the engine compartment(external pump) and plumb it to the engine

Guess I gotta make a decision soon, but I wanna read up on some of the other EFI swaps first on the forum.

Also started looking for a manual rack, engine cross member and u-joint. I'm thinkin manual is the way to go, especially if I can put a Quaife short ratio steering kit in it. Then I won't have to worry about cooking a power steering system.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

It's been a bit since the engine block hit the stand. i just got word from the machine shop that my head for the 4age swap should be done this week. I ended up having to buy new valves as the Auto Tech Class that serviced the head F#(% them up. Lookin around $650 out the door.

So at this point my free engine ended up being about $1200 to be machined and serviced with new bearings, rings, valves and all seals/gaskets. A bit more than I was expecting.

I'm still in limbo about the clutch. SPEC say it was made and shipped out in December to SlickCar.com SlickCar says they never got it..

I'm hoping to have the block together this month.. Maybe early Febuary..
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

Got sick for a bit but still workin on the swap. Soo much to do.

I got started on the wiring. Lots of fun. If anybody wants to help....
88corolla harness.jpg
I'm trying to figure what stays and what goes between the two harnesses.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

YOu will need a wiring diagram from both cars, lots of extra prints and a hand full of highlight pens. Than you have to make a new wire diagram that combines both of them, from there you carefully mark the wires for cutting and splicing. And than double check it all before you start cutting. Than give me a copy of the new wire diagram when you are done. :-)
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I just bought the 88 wiring diagram fro a guy on Ebay in West Seattle. Should see it Monday. Already have the 85T4WD wiring diagram ready. The previous Weber install on my other 85 helped with weeding out wasn't needed from the T4WD chassis.

Petros, your wiring diagram is going to be a bit different and a bit easier. Your engine and harness are from an AE86. If you look at some of the AE86 SR5 to GTS swaps, it should be very close to our tercel for wiring needs. VERY Close. My AE92 corolla is going to be a bit more work. I already got started on moving the MAF wiring to the other side of the harness. It's looking like a total of 33 wires for ECU stuff and 14 that need to get tied into the dash. Hopefully not too hard.

More info as it develops.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I hate wires... Partially in to the 4AGE harness and diggin into the Tercel Chassis harnesses.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

A few steps forward. Waiting to pick up the head this week. I shaved the intake and the valve covers. Also a bit of polish work. Engine is about ready to be fully assembled. Wire harness still needs love.
4age stuffs.jpg
If I can get a day w/o rain I should be able to get a fair bit painted.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member

Post by SynthDesign »

I'm down to sorting out the oil pan return line and few minor things on the engine. I ended up chopping much of the wire harness out from the AE92 corolla. Things are starting to have some semblance of direction. I'm spending the day cleaning and stripping the engine bay of the Tercel. Gotta do something while it's raining.
Hopefully I'll have the engine fully assembled and installed by the end of the month. Probably another month to finish the wiring and exhaust.
4age 4 tercel.jpg
More pictures to come.
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)