to buy or not to buy?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
scott

Post by scott »

Hey I found a 1982 toyota tercel 4wd for sale in my local paper for $200OBO. I went to check it out and the engine compression tested at 1. 150psi 2. 170psi 3. 170 and 4. 150. I don't have a clue how good that is for a 3a-c. Also it has transmission problems being, wont move, when engine is running something is knocking at a quick clicking pace. when clutch is depressed sound stops, when put in gear and clutch let out it just pulls the engine down. What could be wrong??? And over that should i buy it?? It also has 250,000 miles its pretty tattered. Please help me quick im lusting about buying it, but dont want to make a bummer move.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Unless you have some kind of mission to do extreme good in the world...I'd pass it by and look for one that you can do peripheral repairs on. This kind of project has a way of dragging you down with it...not to mention that when all is said and done...you've spent as much as you would for a car that is driveable.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

scott

Post by scott »

Hey thanks for the quick info, I'll take your advice and look for a better buy. What year tercels are the best? thanks so much. scott
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Weve seen several 4x Tercels in the paper and on e~bay in better shape and for less money,in fact theres someone on this site that was selling one in good~shape for around $1500.00.It was Dave or Dug from Malibu Ca. I'd search parts and Gen. section. B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

IF the body has NO rust, I would give it a thought. If it does, pass.

Look around in your area. You can find a lot better for less than the cost to replace the parts.

Even before buying this wrecker, a chat with a local wrecker can go far. Many cars are driven in for disposal and are in good shape.

Cheers
DUG
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

You can also look in <a href='http://www.craigslist.org/' target='_blank'>Craigslist</a>. You'll find a couple in the WA or OR area. I don't think there is a specific good year, but you'll find out that the 83-86 look a certain way and 87-88 look different because of the front end. The 85-88 had more accessories to choose from so you can keep that in mind. You also have to trims to choose from- Deluxe or SR5s. You'll know its an SR5 because of the emblems. Good luck.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"