Extra water temp sensor?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
pantah
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Extra water temp sensor?

Post by pantah »

I am trying to figure out what the second horizontal sensor is on the water outlet connected to the front of the head. Page 655 of the manual shows only one, while I have two. They are both horizontal. (there is a vertical one also, which appears to be the high temp sensor). I believe the one on the left facing the front of the car is the temp guage sender. The one on the right is a mystery. I have an 84 with a/c and auto trans.
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: Extra water temp sensor?

Post by Neu »

Any way you could post a picture?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Extra water temp sensor?

Post by Petros »

There are actually 4 water temp sesors: one is the gauge at the front of the head (at the outlet), the other is on the bottom of radiator to turn on the fan, another is the distrubutor vacuum advance/retard (this one only has vacuum lines on it), and the last mystry one is for the emission control/fuel mixture adjustment (it goes to the ECM under the dash which in turn controls one of the little servos on the carb). This last one is also at the front of the head near the water outlet.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)