Accidental ground in fuel guage and park brake light

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
pantah
My tercel:: 84 4wd

Accidental ground in fuel guage and park brake light

Post by pantah »

First my parking brake light wouldn't go off when the brake was released. Then the fuel gauge read half way up when engine was first started. Now it is always pegged. I have the wiring diagram but it doesn't tell me physically where I should look first on the wiring harness. It looks like I have a ground fault somewhere. Any ideas.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Accidental ground in fuel guage and park brake light

Post by Petros »

there are ground jumpers on the insterment panel, I would look there. But there is no easy way to get to it without removing the gaug panel. You might try unplugging the fuel gauge wire and ground it at the tank, that will verify it is in the panel and not the sender (it is easy to get to under the rear carprt, and access hatch).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Accidental ground in fuel guage and park brake light

Post by keith »

Check the fluid level in the master cylinder. If its low, the brake light won't go out. If its low, theres a good chance that you need new brake pads on the front.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Accidental ground in fuel gauge and park brake light

Post by ARCHINSTL »

These problems may be unrelated.
keith's suggestion should eliminate the brake question, as it occurred first - my light stayed on with full fluid and it turned out to need pads (although front and rear).
I don't recall anyone here having a fuel gauge problem originating with the panel gizzies -usually the gauge problems occur with the various sender bits. Petros' suggestion is a good start.
Did you perform a Search for gauge/sender problems? There are a number of threads on the subject.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain