Emissions: 85 engine into an 83 SR5

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
JB83
My tercel:: 83 SR5 with 85 engine

Emissions: 85 engine into an 83 SR5

Post by JB83 »

I'm wondering if there is a quick and easy way to figure out the vacuum hose situation. From this forum I have the drawing of the 83 3A-C emissions system, and the color hood sticker from an 86, but it doesn't quite match my 85 engine, and the only Toyota manual I could find was an 87. Any advice? :?:
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Emissions: 85 engine into an 83 SR5

Post by Mattel »

Have you downloaded the FSM (1985 I think) from the link above?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Another option is the XLNT AutoZone ste, http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repairGuide.htm; look in the "emissions" section. All vac digrams are shown, although no hood stickers appear.
Incidentally, the color vac diagrams (and hood sticker) from this site are those I made and are correct for an '86, as labelled.
I thought the '85 was the same... Do you have a CA or Canadian car?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JB83

Post by JB83 »

Well, it's a litle weird. On my '83 engine there's a big 3A-C sticker on the side of the valve cover. On the '85 motor, no sticker on the side, but on top of the cover there's a mostly illegible sticker with what looks like 3A-L. I read somewhere that that's the transverse engine setup, but it looks the same except for the vac hose situation. The gal who sold me the motor had gotten it from a wrecker here in Western Washington and didn't know where it originally came from. As well as the different routing it's missing a hose from the carb. Thanks guys, I'll check out the online manual and the Autozone site tomorrow after work and see if I see anything that looks familiar.
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you check for the various components you MIGHT be able to tell as to which rat's nest it is supposed to be configured AS? You could have anything from Fed to Can to Cal? And some of those vac drawings were done by Escher? Or maybe Mobius?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

I used the color coded one on this site for my 85 and it worked fine. Go ahead and use it.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

takza wrote:If you check for the various components you MIGHT be able to tell as to which rat's nest it is supposed to be configured AS? You could have anything from Fed to Can to Cal? And some of those vac drawings were done by Escher? Or maybe Mobius?
H.R. Gigers repressed nightmares?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

At the very worst, you might want to pull the intake and exhaust manifolds and swap them. It's not as easy as it sounds (you have to lift and flip the carb over to reach the exhaust manifold nuts), I did it when I changed my '83 Cal engine(Yota's) into my '83 Fed w/HAC (Yo-deux), so that I didn't have to figure out the vacuum situation :wink: . It was a pain, but took less time than figuring out what was wrong with Yo-d'or (the newer '85). Good luck!
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
JB83

Post by JB83 »

Yeah I was thinking about just swapping the carbs/manifolds etc. but the emissions piping, sensors, everything on the old engine is so corroded and rotted out that I'm hoping I can just adapt the 85 emissions to my existing situation.

Does anyone here have photos of an '85 engine compartment that show where things go? Seems like if I could get a few of the hoses routed correctly then the rest might be possible by process of elimination?

The FSM diagram shows a high altitude compensation valve, which I don't have on the '83. So what do I do with the 3rd hose from the vaccum advance? Cap it off?

Yeah, longer I stare at it the more I agree the system has nightmarish elements of both Escher and Giger all right. I have to admire the genius of the guys who figured out how to make manifold vacuum do all those little jobs, and on the other hand I want to rip it all out and put in a Weber, which is what I just might do after I get it smogged and if I can get the hood clearance thing figured out.
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L
Highlander
Top Notch Member

Post by Highlander »

The colored hose diagram that Archinstl put together is a great resource. The state emissions guy here liked it so much that he made a color copy for his reference. It's pretty straight forward in terms of what is where in the engine compartment- its all relative part to part. I put a Tee from my 83 into the most recent '85 to apply vacuum to the HAC and plugged the third outlet completely thus removing the second diaphragm on the distributor(which was just a vacuum leak!). Since you don't have the HAC, run the appropriate vacuum line to the inner diaphragm, and put a cap on the second tap on that diaphragm (am I making any sense?). OK, starting over..there are three ports on your distributor, one on the outer diaphragm and two on the inner (relative to the dizzy itself) Cap one of the two on the inner, and connect the other of the two to the hard line that wraps around the back of the head. Check both of the dizzy diaphragms with a pump (or suck on a tube) to find out if they're broken- a lot of them are. If they're broken - just cap the vac lines, replacing them is >$150 :shock: . I hope that this helps bit.
'83 SR5-299K, -tRusty!
'85 SR5-265K--GOLD
'85 SR5-285K-- GOLD-New engine!
'85 SR5-238K -- Teal-Killed by a DD
'58 and '62 Austin-Healey Sprites
sdoan
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd DLX 2nd owner (sold), 1984 SR5 3rd owner (sold), 1984 with 4A engine and factory sunroof SR5 3rd owner.

Post by sdoan »

I recently reconnected the vacuum lines on an '84 using my '83 as a guide. I can post pics if you have specific questions.

The 1986 federal hood sticker diagram is similar to both the '83 and '84 and makes a good starting point.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2810
Differences:
1. Neither of the cars I worked on has the HAC so the 3rd port on the dist vacuum can is plugged.
2. The "Gas F." (gas filter in first runner of the intake manifold) has only 1 vacuum hose. (I think the HAC requires the 2nd vacuum hose). This "gas filter" can be plugged, so check to see that it allows vacuum.
3. The '84 has an exhaust hose to the front of the air cleaner and a vacuum switch there. (If you do not have a rubber exhaust hose going to the front of your air cleaner there will be a plug on the steel vacuum pipe near the TSVS.) The vacuum comes from the top front of the bundle of steel vacuum pipes that run along the valve cover.
4. On the cars I was working on, the vacuum switches A&B (near the EBCV) were reversed from 1983 to 1984. The vacuum switch with the dark brown/black connector is vacuum switch A, and the one with the green connector is switch B. The vacuum hoses go to the 2 ports in the pipe bundle just above the EGR modulator - switch A goes to the forward port. But check the wires going to the fuel cut solenoids on the carb. One solenoid will have two wires and the other only one. On both mine the 2 wire solenoid was the primary solenoid (this is different on some cars). If yours are reversed you may have to swap the vacuum lines to switches A&B so that the one with the green connector takes vacuum from the forward port - though I am not absolutely certain of this.
5. The diagram shows the hoses to the left side of the carb very well but you should know that the pink hose from the EBCV goes to the top of the carb, while the yellow, red and gold hoses go to the ports in the cast iron base of the carb.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you any questions.

Shawn
JB83

Post by JB83 »

Wow, thanks much for the responses you guys. I'm going to print them all out and attack it again tonight. If I understood right it sounds like I can safely cap off the "hose to nowhere" from the second vacuum diaphragm to the nonexistant HAC, so that's one down, and with what you've given me to work with here and the color diagram, I'll hopefully get more of it figured out. The *$#&% little busted-off TVSV cost me $87 + $9 shipping to replace-- :evil: boy am I in the wrong %$*@ business! More soon and thanks again!
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Mattel wrote:H.R. Gigers repressed nightmares?
Not repressed anymore? :D

http://home.att.net/~hoo5/giger01.html

Weird stuff....

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Highlander wrote:The colored hose diagram that Archinstl put together is a great resource. The state emissions guy here liked it so much that he made a color copy for his reference.
No Smilie for a blushing face (nor one for a longer arm for back-patting, either :lol: ...). Glad I was so anal a couple of years ago...

You note that you have no HAC - I don't believe any year of the CA or Canadian cars had these - only the Fed cars - so your vac routing may be different from my diagrams - maybe someone who has a definite CA/Canadian car can take a pix of their hood sticker and forward it to you/post it here (or check the AZ site).
I disconnected Goldie's HAC, as STL is only 600+ feet above sea level. - and the only way she'll get high enough to need the HAC is when she carries me up to Heaven (I hope...) - or if I convert her to burn certain flora...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
JB83

Post by JB83 »

Well, this story has a happy ending, thanks to a local Tercel4WD member, M1Marty. He responded to my Craigslist for-sale ad for some AC stuff I was getting rid of (don't need it around here and some of the piping had gotten kinked by the previous owner somehow). So he comes over for the AC stuff, driving his '87, and we start yakking and it turns out he's got the exact same 3A-L engine, including the HAC that he's thinking about yanking out. I don't know how many of you have this engine, but I was thinking holy crap what are the odds. So we start poking around under his hood and comparing with the diagrams and he saw where mine was different. There were a couple of extra tees in there that could be removed and rerouted to conform with what we were supposed to be seeing. I took notes, he showed me some other cool tips and tricks with these cars, steered me to a couple of local wreckers that have some T4WDs, and in general was super generous with his time and knowledge. I gave him the AC parts for his trouble, and lo and behold in twenty minutes or so after he left I had my motor looking like the great '86 color diagram. A place for everything and everything in its place. I still don't know what kind of Canada/Cal/Mexico/Crazy Homebrew smog setup that was, but man, what a relief, now I'll put the clutch on that unit and drop it into the car this week. Anyway thanks M1Marty and you other guys that helped me out with this, I really appreciate it. This forum is an incredible resource. :D
Jim
'83 SR5 with '85 3A-L