Front axles

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

Greetings... I was roaming the boneyard the other day and found a '87 wagon (non-4wd). Are the FWD axles the same as the 4WD fronts? Also, is there differences in 4WD axles from year to year? Hoping someone might have some compatability info on this subject.

I just bought my 1983 4WD wagon for $550. My wife was pissed... but I'm not. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I rebuilt the carb and it runs and idles much better (found the float level was too high).

Thanks ...Paul
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There aren't any axles that are the same. The front wheel drive ones are close and would probably fit, but they don't have as much travel as the 4wd ones.
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Before we go any further what do you mean by front axles?

The drive shafts are half an inch shorter on the 4wd vs the front wheel drive. I think the front hubs are the same.

1987 is a funny year for parts and compatibilty with older models.

Why is your wife pissed? Its not like you are going to get away quickly. She will know where you are; driving your car. Its not like you have taken up gambling or some other expensive addiction.

Now she has something to get you for christmas/birthday; tools or upgrade/newer parts and or the Toyota repair manual. I highly recommend the electric impact wrench.

Cheers
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

dug320 wrote: Why is your wife pissed? Its not like you are going to get away quickly. She will know where you are; driving your car. Its not like you have taken up gambling or some other expensive addiction.
HAHA!! :lol:
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

It's not an addiction - it's a sickness - and I don't want to be cured. I've enjoyed fixing up old beaters for a long time now... guess the wife don't understand that. Anyway, I'll look at the remanufactured axles.

Thanks,

Paul
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

There is a long thread on the front axles...somewhere.

My conclusions on them:

* if you have useable OEM axles...leave them alone...don't replace them until it's really needed.

* it's difficult to find good rebuilt axles....get's to be a drag R&Ring them over & over.

* Cardone has possibly good axles...try not to go with the cheapest you find.

* can ask around in your area for the axles the mechanics use...they sure don't want the job coming back.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

If the boots have cracked leave the shafts until the joints fail. If they fail, the best source for me was the local parts shop and asking which ones are better. They know, but are not always forthcoming.

When you decide to change'em. Measure the new against the old one. They better be equal. I have seen too many that are 1/2 and inch too short.

It is rather easy to change them.

Cheers
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

I decided to check on-line for replacement axles. After checking a couple different sites, I noticed the following had the same part number for front axle assemblys:

4WD Wagon 8/82-12/87
2WD Wagon 8/83-7/87
Tercel 3/5 Dr 8/82-7/86

So I went back to the boneyard and grabbed the driver's side axle from the '87 2WD wagon. I pulled the bad axle out of my '83 4WD wagon and looked them both over. They both appeared to be the same length. Drove about 50 miles this afternoon, including a trip into the woods. So far, so good... no more clicking and thumping around right-hand turns.

Paul
dug320
Top Notch Member

Post by dug320 »

Excellent!!!!