Charcoal canister

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

While scavenging parts off my donor tercel, I came across the charcoal canister.... It's in poor shape. I tested it, and when you blow into the inlet, there is no flow of air. According to the manual this indicates that the canister is bad. I tried purging the filter, but nothing came out, only clean air.

The big vaccum hose on the canister was broken. You can see it in the picture. This would cause the carb to have access to the outside air, whenever the valve is open. I checked the other tercel, and it's vacuum hose was broken too.

Here is a picture:

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

That big hose was "melted" on mine too. I used some gas line to replace it...but had to relocate the switch or whatever it attaches to..due to the bends involved.

I'd keep the canister...still might be OK.

Found that my VSV...that controls when the engine can purge the canister was not working...so it wasn't purging.

Right now I have it bypassed and have an aquarium type hose clamp on the hose to regulate the flow. If I open it at idle...the idle speed goes up some as it purges vapor...so I set the idle speed down some. I'm talking just a slight flow.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...