Gas tank and lines to engine.......

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Here is a picture of the tank:

Question: Has anyone tried to replace any of the 3 lines that go from the tank to the engine? Were the 3 metal lines on top of the tank in good condition or were they rusted?

Do these lines connect to the metal lines to the front with rubber hoses?

Could a line to the front be replaced without removing the tank?

I have one steel line going to the back that is in very poor condition and I want to replace it with a copper line...not sure which one it is...think it's the largest one in diameter though.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Can't say I've done the lines that go to the front (mine are in ok condition), but I have replaced the gas tank. The lines that went into my tank were very rusted and actually were leaking gas. After trying to clean up my old tank I realized it had rusted holes right through it too. So, replace the tank with a good one from the wreckers. I cleaned up the outside and sprayed it with tremclad and then rubber under coating to ensure it would not rust anytime soon.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

As these lines come up into the engine bay (look below by the brake booster), they have rubber hose connectors between the steel pipes, so you have about an 6 inch space of rubber hose. I would use steel or stainless steel to replace the fuel lines. Copper is a lot softer, kinks fairly easily and tends to break after kinked . I've had many copper lines for water hook ups on refrigerators break just from moving the fridge back, think of the mess and danger (at least for the guy behind you) if you had a copper fuel line do that.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I changed my gas tank with a spare one that had been sitting a few years, and found after I got it in that the fuel pickup line was completely blocked. It turned out the only thing good on the tank was the filler neck, which incedentally was the only thing bad on my other gas tank. I suppose that letting the gas go stale has a bad effect on the tank and its components.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Actually got under the car and checked things out.....

There are 3 fuel lines...2 smaller and one larger. The smaller ones carry liquid gas and the larger one fuel vapors from the tank to the canisiter.

The smaller ones are vinyl (?) coated, but the largest one was just plain steel and is seriously rusted.

Have been hitting these lines with WD40 or oil each fall to slow the rusting.

Replacing the rusted line would be pretty straight forward...with hoses at either end. Since it only carries vapor and still holds pressure...I'll probably let it go awhile.

Tank "looks" OK, with no rust around it or the lines coming from it.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Ok, so I've actually been considering replacing my lines.....

I seem to remember that the hard lines are long solid pieces, and seem like they'd be really hard to find a replacement for. In some places, it looks as if toyota took a very long piece, and did a super custom bending job. This would be very difficult for me to do a good job on.

What about running the plastic tubes?? Or maybe steel lines for the long straight part, and plastic for the rest? It could be secured to the existing lines with LOTS of tie wraps.

Since I live in california, corrosion is not much of an issue. But, I imagine the rubber hoses would not last nearly as long.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

The bendable type steel lines are easier than you think to bend into OEM shape. I bought some new brake line for my rear axle, and found it suprisingly easy to bend to the OEM shape; I thought it would be really difficult. Because you are following the contours of the bottom of the car, you can basically just start at one end of the car and bend the piping bit by bit. For the low cost of the lines, it's probably worth a try.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS