Help Removing Rear Axles

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

I'm trying to remove the rear axles from my parts tercel (86 4x4 automatic). The rear axles DO NOT want to come out. The manual makes it look easy, using a puller. I tried a puller, and when that did not work, I attached a tow chain and hook to the puller, and then to a truck. I used the momentum of the truck (more force than I could ever exert on it), and it still would not come out.

Actually, it started pulling the car off the stands. I guess I could remove the entire rear axle assembly, attach one end to a tree, and the other end (the axle) to the truck.

Ideas?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

By puller, do you mean a slide hammer?

I've only ever pulled axles once; on my wife's old KP61 Starlet. They came out super easy. But I've heard about lots of axles that are really tough to get out. Most find a slide hammer works well. I think the reason it is so tough is the axle bearing must be rusted to the axle housing. I think using a slide hammer will be more effective with producing a quick shock to the axle then a powerful constant force like the tree/truck method. Just my two cents.

Nick
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If the oil seal is to the inside of the bearing...then PBBlaster on the outside of the bearing where it fits in the housing might work? Soak it once a day for a week? Heavier slide hammer?

If it hasn't been out of there in 18 years..........?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I haven't had any trouble with the 4 axles I've removed, they either pulled out by hand or with a crowbar against the brake shoes. A slide hammer would work best.
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Ok, so I removed both of the axles. I used one tow strap to secure on side of the car to a big metal pole. I used another tow hook to secure the axle to another car. It took LOTS of force to remove them. I would start with several feet of slack in the rope, then go reverse in the car, and let the backwards momentum try to pull the axle out. It took several tries with a heavy truck.

I don't think I would have been able to get them out with a slide hammer.

The bearings were super rusted to the axle walls.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you are going to put thise axles in another car...you might want to check and make sure that retainer sleeve on the axle is still holding the bearing where it's supposed to be????
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...