Rechecked my alignment......

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Rechecked my toe-in after my offroad adventures and found to my surprise that the toe was still very close to zero at -.005" or so.

So the Tercel 4WD must be built pretty well.

<a href='http://cflcomputing.com/tercel4wd/invis ... &f=7&t=111' target='_blank'>http://cflcomputing.com/tercel4wd/invis ... 7&t=111</a>
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Lateer
Top Notch Member

Post by Lateer »

From what I read, the Tercel actually has positive camber.

Last I heard, from a mechanical engineer, this was a bad thing. It stresses the rims and tyres something chronic.

Is it a bad thing to just set it to zero camber?
Or maybe a little negative? It'd improve cornering ability, that's for sure.
1983 Tercel SR5 with 185/75R14 tyres, 32/36 DGAV Weber carburetor, lumpy cam and upgraded Pioneer sound system. Veteran of several fire seasons (with the scars to show it) and known as "The Racing Turtle"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think the camber is positive...but the toe is supposed to be zero + or - .040".

Only took about 10 minutes to check it...since I didn't have to adjust it or recheck it.

The guy that was doing my alignments retired or something...and the other places charge a good bit more.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I heard that some cars are supposed to be aligned a little bit wrong to correct for the effect of torque while the car is driving. I will probably do my alignment using your methods when I get around to it. I hope I can get it aligned the way it was before the front crossmember got bent.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Had to have the laser replaced when it stopped working (free)...used the new one for this job.

Sort of a relief not to have to call, make an appointment, wait, drive there, pay the guy, drive back, etc....especially when the alignment issues were all in my head.