Tercel carb-emissions question...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

To answer my own original question:

I suspect that the 3AC engine defaults to lean when some or all of the inputs fail.

So generally speaking...my guess is that there's no need to fnd another carb (Weber) for the Tercel...just don't worry about the O2/EGR if you don't need to pass emissions.

Can't prove it...but I suspect that you will have better mileage and power by not having the various emissions parts functioning...except maybe for the O2 sensor...... the EVAP system and the vac lines should be left functional. A good free flowing cat converter can't hurt anything.

This is only my opinion...
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I think they run rich by default, and the EBCV opens to make it leaner when the system is working. That would be a better design than running lean because lean mixtures can overheat things like the exhaust valve while rich mixtures just waste fuel and cause carbon deposits. I know mine tends to run rich but it's a Canada wagon with manual so it doesn't have the feedback system.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I guess you ARE right, but only when the engine is between 1500 & 4200 RPM....and under deceleration above 1550 RPM! :rolleyes: ....... :D

Now that I've downloaded the '85 manual I'm learning some stuff. And changing my mind on the same day.

My confusion came from getting good mileage...with half the stuff on the engine...EGR, O2, & EVAP not working.

Neither of the manuals I have bothered to explain how and why the air bleed system worked. Now that I have 3 manuals....I'll know everything. :blink:

But the EGR might be evil........... :angry: ..... <_<

Found that the gas level in the sight window is at the lower edge of the acceptable range....might be why I get the good mileage. Also saw that when I stopped the engine it dropped some.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...