loss of power

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I was driving down the freeway at 75mph when the car just started bogged down. I couldn't go over 65 and that was in 4th gear. The engine was running smooth though, no missing or stuttering, however the temp gauge went up to the red mark. I'm gonna take a look at it after work, does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? I'm going to check the plugs, cap, and rotor but it doesn't seem like those.
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

Could be dragging brakes. Or dragging bearings.

Or perhaps something is wrong with the cooling system? Check the coolant. A common problem is to have that little pipe that goes from the water outlet to the wter pump to start a tiny leak.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Did you hear some pinging? If you did then most likely it was overheating at least that's what happened when there was absolutely no water my cooling system. :(
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Mabey you blew a head~gasket and sucked some water down one cylinder? <_<
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I'd say head gasket or warped head...at least it is now. I wouldn't try to drive it now...block sealer or stop leak won't likely do much...one of those times when you have to just fix it?

At least check the coolant level...stuck thermostat?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Well I narrowed it down to either the water pump or thermostat. It wasn't leaking any water, and I looked in the radiator with it running and it wasn't pumping water. How ever that was about the only thing to go right... I lost one of the bolts for the thermostat, decided to call it a night, and was carrying the antifreeze in so the animals didn't get into it. I got the third step and BAM! the cheap no slip stuff on the stairs slips off. I bashed my toe and was wearing six quarts of anti-freeze. I grab a jug of water to wash off the steps since my landlord is too cheap to put faucets in at my apartments. I started pouring the water out when wammo, the handle breaks off the jug and smacks my toe again. Anyone want a tercel? :angry:
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Somebody put a hex on you....you need to wait for a full moon and at midnight, while turning in circles....sing a song of your own making to the Toyota gods and it will ALL go away. B)

But seriously folks...your not havin' much luck......

Your landlord needs to put a coat of fiberglass resin on those steps and spread some coarse sand over it.

I'd get that coolant circulating and maybe you will get by with no damage. I'd change the oil too. Then mark your coolant level using a marker on the reservoir to see if you are losing any over time. :blink:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

arbskynxnex wrote: Well I narrowed it down to either the water pump or thermostat. It wasn't leaking any water, and I looked in the radiator with it running and it wasn't pumping water. How ever that was about the only thing to go right... I lost one of the bolts for the thermostat, decided to call it a night, and was carrying the antifreeze in so the animals didn't get into it. I got the third step and BAM! the cheap no slip stuff on the stairs slips off. I bashed my toe and was wearing six quarts of anti-freeze. I grab a jug of water to wash off the steps since my landlord is too cheap to put faucets in at my apartments. I started pouring the water out when wammo, the handle breaks off the jug and smacks my toe again. Anyone want a tercel? :angry:
Man, I have some luck like that when working on the car sometimes. :( I thought I was superman or something the other day and broke about 3 important bolts off in the space of 1/2 hour. :angry: Anyhow, the 3AC engine is pretty invincible, so maybe your engine is still ok. Do what takza recommended, and then check your compression to make sure your headgasket and internals are ok. The fact that you lost so much power is sort of concerning... <_<
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I also had some bad luck and tried to 'unbend' the left fender (drivers side) and I ended up making a small dent and chipped off a little paint. :angry: This really hurt me.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Well I removed the thermostat, I couldn't get the new one in at the angle it was at. I think its the water pump, the motor would heat up when I let the gas pedal off going down hill, and the temp would drop when I floored it. Anyways, since I read how to change the water pump, I think I'm going to do this the easy way. I'm just putting the water pump on the new engine, and then going to put the engine in.