How much more of a P.I.T.A. can a tranny swap be?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!

How long until Fingers gets his Tercel back on the road, and fully operational?

1 week
40%
1 month
60%
1 year
No votes
Friggin' never, he will blow it up or sell it and finally buy a Celica All-Trac
No votes

Total votes: 5

Fingers
Top Notch Member

How much more of a P.I.T.A. can a tranny swap be?

Post by Fingers »

Hey guys. Just figured I would share my victories and anger issues.

Finally have the auto out and the manual in. Everything is working, except for the 4wd indicator-but that will be fixed(rigged). Even put the inclinometer in, re-wired the stereo, threw in a flip-down dvd player, and am about to put in the rear shoulder belts.

Pulled the tranny from a 86. Put it in my 86. Different gear ratios. How? Why? Who knows. I guess just to make me cuss a little bit more. So now I guess I need to find a replacement rear diff. Oh boy. What a joy.

But, i have seen 2 different 4wd wagons on the road in the last month. One, a white one just like mine, and the other a silver sr5. I keep wanting to follow them to say hi, but I think that may be a bit creepy.

Anyone have a spare rear diff sitting around? Early model? Huh?

Fingers.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Heyy - Welcome again!
What's the skinny on the rear shoulder belts? I am very interested in this (not to diss' your other major mech work, mind!).

And - I found a dark blue wagon here in Kirkwood - but too far ahead of me to catch up to, what with all of our unsynched stop lights - it's new to the 'hood, I think.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I'll let you know once I actually get the headliner all in and get back to working on them. It seems like it will be an easy swap, with a few minor modifications, using a set out of my 'Rolla parts car. But I haven't quite made it that far. I will post pics and stuff once I get it finished (probably next weekend).

I am still just so pissed about the whole tranny bit. I bet that is why an otherwise good-looking Terc was in the boneyard. I thought the grime on the driveshaft looked different from that on the rear diff and underside. And the fresh sealant around the shifter cap could have been a clue....

Everybody keep an eye out in the yards for me!

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have an '83 rear axle on a car I am about to scrap out, is this the one you need?. It is a bit of a job to remove the 3rd member (center mount with the diff. in it). NOt sure it is worth the trouble of removing it and shipping it across the counrty. Might be cheaper to get one from a local pull-a-part.

let me know right away, I am hauling it off this week.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)