Tranny swap.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Ok guys. After the long trip I am seriously considering doing the swap. I found a nice (although not as nice as mine) 85 for sale localy. My plan would be to buy the car, swap the tranny and whatever else I might need, and resell the car, trying to break even. I have not even broke out the manual yet, but I am sure someone here might be able to shed some light on the process for me. Just simple stuff. Are the different shifter openings there, or at least as tacked in panels? Besides the 4wd system, is there any other mods that need to be done? I guess I could dig into the car and books myself, but I am being lazy after my trip coupled with quitting smoking.

Any insight would be welcomed.

Anybody interested in buying a 85 in a few months? hehehe
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

I just removed the tranny, and put it back in... I had to fix the broken differential. The hardest thing was removing/installing the tranny into/outof the car. Unless you are HE-MAN, you will need help. It's that heavy.

Following the manual, it wasn't that hard, just takes plenty of time.

As for the rest of the questions, are you converting an auto to manual?? I don't know about the cut outs.
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Yeah, auto to manual. And then manual to auto in the donor car.

I'm not worried about pulling them out as much as I am in putting them back in. I figure the bodies must be made to fit both, but I am not sure of any difficulties I may have.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com