Vent question

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

I just now thought of this. Both tercels that I've owned have constantly blown air with the air intake set on fresh and with the blower fan off. Is it normal, or is it fixable?
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

If it only does it when the vehicle is moving it's because of the wind pressure outside. You can turn this off with recirc.

If it does it when you're stopped, I'd have to say there is something wrong with your fan switch. Maybe replace it with a good one from the wreckers?

Mine doesn't blow air when I'm stopped and the fan is off. Although I have noticed that even when I put the selector on defrost or floor with the fan on, it still blows lots of air out the face vents. It's a bit of a piss off. I think something might have gotten messed when the previous owner installed an aftermarket A/C kit in it.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Oops, I forgot about being stopped <_< No, it doesn't blow air when stopped. My first one had a third party a/c, and the current one has factory air. I even replaced the core assembly in my first one (a real turd of a project) and it still blew out the face and floor vents, and I had 10 extra screws when I was done.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The Tercel's heater control unit is designed in such a way that it always puts some air out the face vents. I thought there was something wrong with mine until I read in the owners manual that on the foot and defrost settings it directs most of the air to those places, and not all of it.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Thanks for clearing that up 3A-C. Its like a breath of fresh air. :D
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have a question about the heating system:

When I set my system to COOL and the blower on some....I still get some slightly warm arm coming thru the vents. I've tried adjusting the heater control valve to be sure it closes all the way...but still have some warmer than outside air.

Must be an air door that switches air to go thru the heater core vs the condensor. Hope my AC isn't fighting this warm air.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Maybe the heater valve itself isn't closing even if it's in the right position. If it's completely closed, there's no reason for the air to get any warmer. You could disconnect the heater hose with the valve closed and then run it to see if any coolant is coming through. The heater and condenser are in line so the air always goes through the condenser. There is a flap inside the heater unit that controls the hot air mix at the same time as the heater control valve, so that must allow some air to bypass the actual heater core. If that isn't working, you would get cold air but whenever you change from warm to cold there would be a period of time when the coolant in the heater core is still giving off its heat.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

My guess it that it's this air flap not adjusted right....need to do that.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...