Manual transmission driveshaft oil seals

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Hi Takza, Thank-you for all the helpful advice. It turned out that the seals were actually very easy to do. They were not metal, but just plastic/rubber ones. I popped them out with a flat head screw driver, and carefully cleaned the cavity. I then used a 30mm socket (fit perfect) to tap the new ones in. I coated them with MP grease on outside and inside before hand. This helped them to go in easier, and left some lubrication for the drive shaft when I put it back in. I ended up doing both sides just so I wouldnt have to worry about it.

I looked more carefully at my 4wd shifter and realized that at 1 drip per 12 hours or so that it is dripping, I probably can get away with just topping up the trans oil once a year! :)

Also, it turned out that my trans was not low on oil, it was just my imagination. Although the front diff is a little louder on my 86 than my 87 was. Hopefully it's not going to go on me. I've now heard of three people that have had these things blow apart on them.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If you can still find the old ones...check one by bending it...almost all of them have metal in there.

The grease on the outside probably helps...I tend to use non-hardening gasket stuff.

I have a trans that has 220K miles on it...but seems to be in good condition. Am getting some noise now when idling and lettting the clutch in an out...let it out (not in gear) and I get some noise...main shaft bearings???? Have to expect this.

Time to change my trans oil again...30K on it.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

That noise might just be your clutch release bearing?
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

It is more of a slight rattling sound..probably the throwout bearing like you say.

Grinding or roughness with the pedal in would be a real issue.

I'm going to use about 3 quarts Mobil synth gear oil, 1 quart Hyperlube, and some moly addtive when I change it....maybe it will last another 30K? Same in the rear diff.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

That sound is probably the input shaft bearing. Mine is pretty bad now. It can be changed without to much work, at least without as much as the manual suggests.