manual tranny install

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

Ok, I've done it successfully twice (although not easily), but I'm stuck this time.

Basically, the problem is getting the input shaft in, there just doesn't seem to be enough room with the rear of the bellhousing (and the clutch lever) hitting the body. It seems like it's in place, but the input shaft (or whatever) just won't go in!

I'd love if someone has any hints, ticks or magic words of wisdom!
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

This is always a pain in the ass. As I mentioned in a couple other posts on this forum (in response to this topic), you basically need to find a couple of buddies to give you a hand. This job is next to impossible on your own (and dangerous). It's always tough (from my experience) getting the input shaft into the clutch disk/pilot bearing. With some extra hands, it'll be easier to do. One person can handle the height of the transmission with a jack, another person can tilt the transmission as needed, and another can watch from a good view point and give direction and put the bolts in when ready. What might help you with your space problems is to loosen off the engine points, and jack up slightly on the front of the engine (carefully), so that the back of the engine tilts down more. This will make the back of your transmission at a lower angle and give you more room to work with. Just an idea. I've only ever done this on an AE86, which is different. I will be doing the clutch on my tercel 4wd in a month or so though, so I'll give you some pointers if you haven't done yours by then.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

How bad is the transmission swap? I would like to do this on my dad's 83 as the transmission has bad syncros probably, and I also need to replace the clutch and the engine, I think I would also need to check out the condition of the differential (or rear axle) I think it just might be the wheel bearings that are making noise but there is an oil or brake fluid leak on the left side of the axle. Any ideas? When you replace your clutch please share your story with us so I know what's coming up.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

An interesting feature of this transmission is that the input shaft can be taken out from the rear of the bellhousing. There's a plate with 4 bolts that holds it in. It may be easier to align the clutch disc, put the transmission in place without the input shaft in, then put the input shaft in and it should go in no problem with the transmission already lined up.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

3A-C Power wrote: An interesting feature of this transmission is that the input shaft can be taken out from the rear of the bellhousing. There's a plate with 4 bolts that holds it in. It may be easier to align the clutch disc, put the transmission in place without the input shaft in, then put the input shaft in and it should go in no problem with the transmission already lined up.
hmm, that idea scares me for some reason, I'd worry about something internal getting screwed up
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The input shaft on these units is just a little thing with a gear that turns a bigger gear inside. Unlike a conventional transmission where the input shaft has all the gears and other parts on it, our input shafts are pretty basic. They just slide out, with maybe a few thrust washers to keep track of at the most. I've got the spare trans in my garage, so I can pop the input shaft out and document the whole process.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

3A-C Power wrote: The input shaft on these units is just a little thing with a gear that turns a bigger gear inside. Unlike a conventional transmission where the input shaft has all the gears and other parts on it, our input shafts are pretty basic. They just slide out, with maybe a few thrust washers to keep track of at the most. I've got the spare trans in my garage, so I can pop the input shaft out and document the whole process.
Never mind, I've spent about 3-4 hours trying to get the tranny in today without any luck. The problem with removing the input shaft, while a great idea, won't really help because there's not room to put it back in afterwards.

Also, I wanted to remove the motor mounts and jack up the front of the engine, but my stupid rachet won't fit, not enough room (at least on the left motor mount), so I've given up on that for now. This is where the mount attaches to the crossmember, I could always disconnect the mounts from the engine I guess, but I don't think that's a good idea.

I'm toying with the idea of dropping the whole crossmember/engine down a little bit, but I don't know how good of an idea that is.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I have the transmission in place, and I'm just like an inch off of having the input shaft into the hole in the clutch plate, there just isn't enough room to get it all in place, and I can't really see what I'm doing (and my hands don't fit in there, either). I'm about 1" low for the hole, maybe less.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Is the rear of the engine hanging down? It's supposed to be lowered with a piece of wood between the cylinder head and the firewall, just enough that the distributor doesn't hit the firewall.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

3A-C Power wrote: Is the rear of the engine hanging down? It's supposed to be lowered with a piece of wood between the cylinder head and the firewall, just enough that the distributor doesn't hit the firewall.
You don't lower the engine (unless I'm mistaken - I have the factory manual)... you put the wood in place before you lower the tranny as that moves the engine down... Once you remove the tranny, the engine isn't lowered anymore, unless I'm mistaken
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

A shot in the dark: Are you sure you have the right clutch disc? I know someone who changed his clutch and even though the clutch disc was right for the year and model, but it actually had one less spline. He didn't find out until he was trying to get the transmission back on and the input shaft wouldn't go in.
WeirdAl

Post by WeirdAl »

Yeah, stock clutch, haven't touched it. Removed the transmission because the front differential was toast, gutted it (the differential), put it back on, but had managed to get the shifter into gear, lol. Had to pull the tranny, slip it back into neutral, and reinstall... The gutted diff was a no go, so got a junkyard one, pulled the tranny again, put on the new diff, and now can't get the stupid thing back on, lol
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Can you not get the transmission lined up with the engine, or will they just not go together? Are you twisting it to get the splines of the input shaft lined up with the clutch?
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Al,dont you have to pre-aline the clutch splines with a dummy pilot-shaft? Hey,I think the original Weird Als Parents died today. Alan
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>