Manifold bolts...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Had the old air cleaner off again (as usual) and found 3 bolts loose out of 9 or so that hold the intake/exhaust manifolds to the head.

Didn't or wasn't able to check at least 3 of them. So 50% of those I was able to get to easily were loose. <_<
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Interesting. I think that I might have the problem. I have a noisy exhaust leak somewhere in my engine bay and I bet it is leaking between the exhaust manifold and the head. I've already put a new ring gasket between the header and the downpipe. I'll have to check...
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well there is the air injection system that is supposed to put air into the exhaust....it causes SOME exhaust noise. This is what I thought the noise was.

Still have some noise though. This system is different on different year's cars....plus the Calif model is different.

There is still one bolt under the manifolds in the center I could check...the others are under the sheet metal shield at top.

<span style='color:blue'>Fairly sure my idle has improved from tightening these bolts.....</span> ;)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Turns out that the spot between the header and down pipe where I put the new exhaust gasket was still leaking (one of the studs is messed up and I was unable to put the nut all the way on to tighten things up properly). I put some muffler cement in the crack and it's nice and quiet now. Although my exhaust is still a little louder then normal because the previous owner removed the cat converter from the system.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS