evil reverse clunk

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
The Nugget

Post by The Nugget »

hey all, just finished putting an 87 engine and auto trans in an 88 body. all works good except when going into reverse. I get a LOUD BANG!!! that shakes the car enough to toss whatever is on the dash onto the floor, seats etc... I get the same bang once in reverse and start to accelerate hard. much smoother when in 4WD, but still present. also, what appears to be trans or gear oil leaking from car once stopped. not large amount but enough to cause concern. possible seal on driveshafts causeing leaking fluid? shafts slip out when under load in reverse??????? any help is apperechated.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

I would first eliminate the possibility of a lose mount. ;)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I would eliminate the automatic transmission itself.
The Nugget

Post by The Nugget »

mount?? any one in particular? as in engine? trans?
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Any and all,and u~joints.Dont know much about Autos,someone who dose should speak~up shortly,were Good :D that~way!
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I vote for the loose mount theory. Could also be loose mounts and the exhaust hitting something.

Best bet? Have someone in the car putting it in various gears while you watch the engine to see what it is doing...might see it moving too much?

Just watch WHO you have in the car and don't stand in front of it!!!!
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

DO NOT drive the car very far untill you find the problem. Did the car you swapped the parts from ever do this before? Also, the way you word the problem makes it sound as if it makes the BANG as you go into reverse, from a stop. Is this the case? It only goes BANG once?

Is it like having a messed up tranny that slips too much? You press the gas, it goes a little bit forward/reverse, then WHAM, the tranny grabs?
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

It almost has to be a mount.

I had the exact same problem on my camry, and, sure enough, the tranny mount and front engine mount were shot. I believe that if I were to do the same swap I would have had to replace them during the prodcess, as even if they look fine, once you start torqueing on those puppies they can destruct very easilly.

I would look at the tranny crossmember mount first, it is pretty easy to replace and a fairly inexpensive part to replace.

As far as joints, that is very possible as well. A way to test that is to park on a slight incline, front on the high end, put it in park and let it roll til the tranny catches it. Then, put it in reverse and back up. If it still makes the noise, it is probably the mounts.

Or maybe I am just crazy!
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com