4WD Selector Linkage

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Is there a seal where the 4WD lever linkage enters the transmission? Where can you buy one? And how do you get the little linkage arm off the tranny?
Thanks. :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Been there...done that...sort of.

Guessing that you have oil dripping off of the little arm on the shaft? There is a $2 seal on the shaft behind the arm (Toyota) ...issue is getting the arm off the shaft.

There is a pinch bolt that is the kind that is very difficult to get out...like the kind used on the cranks of some bicycles. I couldn't budge mine using a large pair of vice grips on the end of the bolt.

You need to be very careful here or you can do some real damage. Don't try to use heat or a hammer. Heat will TOTALLY trash the seal...a hammer around alum is a no no. The only way to get the pinch bolt out is is to borrow, or make some kind of "thingy" to push the bolt out.

As a temp fix, I took some sewing thread and wrapped it quite a few times around the shaft where it comes from the trans in an attempt to make an extra oil seal...worked...sort of.

Just keep the oil level up.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I noticed the arm on my 86 is dripping oil too (very slowly). I was going to ask the same questions about this seal. I'm going to attempt replacement of it and see how it goes.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I've dealt with pinch bolts before, but this one is weird. It's more like a stud with a nut on the end. We got the nut off but the stud/bolt won't come out. Do we need to take it out, or will the arm pull off now? I know some pinch bolts need to come out and some don't. The transmisson is out, so we're replacing all the mud-damaged seals be fore putting it back in. Hornbeam will rise again! :D
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Likely that there is a hollow in the shaft that the pinch bolt slides thru...maybe Toyota went overboard on designing this part? Maybe there isn't.

If you have the trans out...at least you have some room to work. A very heavy c-clamp of some type is about all I can see that will work. Think tie-rod end tool?

I was going to find a piece of steel...shape it into a c-clamp...drill & tap a hole in one end for a bolt...cut or drill a recess in the other end for the other end of the pinch bolt and start turning.

Main thing is...don't destroy the current seal...you might need it....don't harm the alum trans housing...darn sure you are going to need it!

<span style='color:blue'>IF somebody ever gets it apart...post a picture and tell us what you find.....???</span>
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Maybe this weekend we will work on that arm again.
This is a helpful picture:
<a href='http://www.japancats.ru/toyota/image.as ... 31F71A.gif' target='_blank'>http://www.japancats.ru/toyota/image.as ... 71A.gif</a>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Yep that's helpful.

It's a worst case scenario....tapered pin AND a slot.........pretty sure that they didn't want that arm getting loose!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I tried using Bablefish to translate that .ru site and found the AL25...but can't find a detailed picture of the front bumper frame under the plastic for the wagon.

What does the Babblefish translation call a Tercel4WD (Corsa/Tercel?)....confused in Seattle. Help the dummy!

Also a picture of the shifter going into the top of the trans would be real nice......

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

That Linkage diagram is Nice...We need MORE!!!! :angry:
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

takza wrote: I tried using Bablefish to translate that .ru site and found the AL25...but can't find a detailed picture of the front bumper frame under the plastic for the wagon.

What does the Babblefish translation call a Tercel4WD (Corsa/Tercel?)....confused in Seattle. Help the dummy!

Also a picture of the shifter going into the top of the trans would be real nice......
I can't seem to find a good bumper picture either.

I think the Tercel was called "Corsa" in some markets.

<a href='http://www.japancats.ru/toyota/image.as ... 988BA3.gif' target='_blank'>http://www.japancats.ru/toyota/image.as ... BA3.gif</a>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Guess I was in the right place then.

Another good picture. Thanks.

I'd say that that rubber cup also acts as a seal to keep the oil in the trans...so using trans oil on it shouldn't be an issue.

As far as mounting the lights...I guess I can make a good guess using the diagram I have.