Distributor

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Seems as how I'm limited to a chilton's for my repair work, I have a question. Is it wise or even possible to break the distributor down to its componet parts? I already have it mostly apart to clean out some oil and grime in there, but can you remove the gear on the end and pull out the shaft. If so do you need to replace the bearing?
Pandas: Eats, shoots and leaves.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Haven't had mine apart yet. I've just put on a new cap & rotor.

There is a certain limit for sideplay for the shaft though. I think that the old breaker-type dists were more sensitive to shaft looseness because it changed the dwell if there was too much...with the electronic type...probably not as much of a problem?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sacwac
Top Notch Member

Post by sacwac »

arbskynxnex:

It is possible to break the distributor down to its component parts. I have not looked in detail at the factory manual procedure for distributor breakdown, but it looks like it might be complicated.... My impression of those few pages was "glad I don't have to do that".

I will take pictures of the relevant sections of the manual, and post links to them... Later today, after I get off work at 5pm pst.

My scanner is busted, so I guess my digital camera will do.
arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

Thanks sacwac, for posting the pics. I had the distributor most of the way apart but I got stuck, now I can break it completely. :)
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Since my curiosity is getting the better of me...I'm going to ask....WHY?

Why are you wanting to disassemble your dist? Looking for something? :lol:
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

arbskynxnex
Top Notch Member

Post by arbskynxnex »

takza wrote: Since my curiosity is getting the better of me...I'm going to ask....WHY?

Why are you wanting to disassemble your dist? Looking for something? :lol:
It came to me in a dream. :P

I was checking the ignition coil on the distributor for my 4a-lc that is going to go into my tercel, and since it was bad and there was a ton of grime in the distributor I figured I should tear it apart, and clean and fix it. Now I need to find if they make a rebuild kit or if I have to buy all the parts seperately.