Brakes

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Okay as you guys already know my ongoing effort to make the 83 "driveable" I want to ask a couple of questions about the brakes. The front brakes are starting to dust and I'm afraid if they're not replaced pretty soon it's going to start grinding. What type of pads do you guys use that can be bought off the internet for cheap? As for the rear brakes they make the groaning, kind of grinding noise. Is there something that I can do instead of replacing the drums? The drums are like $55 each. Also, what type of brake shoes are the best and that are also kind of on the cheap side? Can't the drums be machined or something instead of replacing them? Would it be cheaper? Thanks for the input!
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Was going to do a writeup on brakes...since I've pretty much redone everything on mine.

Your rear brakes might just have a lot of dust in them that can cause those noises...also might be down to metal on metal.

There is a limit diameter cast into the brake drum...find that and measure the inside diameter to see if thay are in spec.

I bought 2 new drums for mine...the last mechanic had cut them way too much oversize to the point that one shoe only hit the drum with 1/2 it's surface....worked OK though.

For basic parts, I do an online search mostly for AdvanceAP, Autozone, and NAPA. Then order online or buy locally. Might have different stores in your area.

You can find the front rotors for $22 for the pair.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I would pretty much appreciated if you made a brake write-up since I'm fairly new working on the Tercel. Never seen someone replace them even though I usually went with my dad to see what they were doing.

I have Kragen, a lot of these small independent stores around, yes we have Autozone around, hard to find a NAPA store though and of course Pep Boys. I'll look around. First I need to see how bad it is back there and then take it from there. I saw an auto parts store that turns drums and rotors. What does turning either drums or rotors do? If it is that I'm on metal-to-metal then can't I just get them turned?
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

If the rear drums are still within the wear limit...then you could get them turned for maybe $15-20...if they aren't scored very bad, you might just rough them up a little with sand paper and get by that way.

Need to check the wheel cylinders for any leakage also.

Turning them just smooths out the braking surface where the shoes ride.

Front rotors are so cheap now that it doesn't pay to turn them.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

You can get the drums or discs machined for about $10 per disc or drum. It only needs to be done if the surface is uneven and the brake pedal is pulsing. Pads are dirt cheap, like $20 a set for the front, and a bit more for the rear. They are usually going on ebay for cheap as well. I need brake work really bad. My rotors were well below the minimum thickness a year ago when I machined them. They were fine for a while, but are warping again. I've been stalling on the brakes because I want to upgrade them to Corolla GT-S ones soon.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

3A-C Power wrote: You can get the drums or discs machined for about $10 per disc or drum. It only needs to be done if the surface is uneven and the brake pedal is pulsing. Pads are dirt cheap, like $20 a set for the front, and a bit more for the rear. They are usually going on ebay for cheap as well. I need brake work really bad. My rotors were well below the minimum thickness a year ago when I machined them. They were fine for a while, but are warping again. I've been stalling on the brakes because I want to upgrade them to Corolla GT-S ones soon.
So this means I don't have to get them machined if the brake pedal doesn't pulsate and the surface is even? I don't know if it did pulsate; I'll ask my dad, but I do know that it didn't do that grinding noise all the time. Are you going to swtich to the Corolla GT-S rear end and get the rear disc brakes as well? Can you do the same to the front ones? I won't start to do work until summer vacation starts in about 2 weeks, so I'm still comparing and gathering prices.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Carlos,its Easy(and pretty~quick) to jack a weel~up(block~others),pull it off,then look at the shoe's and pad's and measure the disc~thickness and inside~diamiter of the drums.Read~up first. :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Well I'll see what happens. So you just pull the drum off once you have the wheel removed? Then check the diameter?
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Carlos,to get a good,quick education do this.Block~off(chalk)one side(street~side?) of the cars wheels so it dosnt roll.On the other~side simply crack(barely~loosen) the lugnuts on one weel,jack~up(just enuff to clear the tire from the road),pull the weel off and look~around.Take~your ~time,its not going anywhere,or it shouldnt be! :D Re~install Wheel,un~jack~it and go to the other~one.When you titen your lug~nuts,"snug" them down good,but not~so~tite that that you have to strugle to get them off the next time.So you need a couple wheel~blocks,your tire~changing geer and about 1-1/2 Hr's time.Easy...Fun...Educational,and a good~way to show that Smart~a#s Go~cart~kid up! B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The GT-S front discs look like they have the same offset but they are bigger and the calipers are also bigger. The caliper bracket might fit the Tercel making it a bolt-on upgrade, but most likely an adaptor plate or new caliper bracket will have to be made. For the rear, I was going to make a bracket that replaces the backing plate and holds the front wheel drive GT-S rear caliper in place on the Tercel rearend. Putting the rear wheel drive GT-S axle on my car is so far away that I don't want to wait until when that happens. I would need a new ring and pinion for that axle to make it a 4.1:1 ratio and also the axle shafts need to be machined for a 4x100mm bolt circle. A new ring and pinion costs $500, I'm searching for another Toyota that uses the 6.7" rearend and has a 4.1:1 ratio stock. I think some of the vans do.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

3A-C Power wrote: The GT-S front discs look like they have the same offset but they are bigger and the calipers are also bigger. The caliper bracket might fit the Tercel making it a bolt-on upgrade, but most likely an adaptor plate or new caliper bracket will have to be made. For the rear, I was going to make a bracket that replaces the backing plate and holds the front wheel drive GT-S rear caliper in place on the Tercel rearend. Putting the rear wheel drive GT-S axle on my car is so far away that I don't want to wait until when that happens. I would need a new ring and pinion for that axle to make it a 4.1:1 ratio and also the axle shafts need to be machined for a 4x100mm bolt circle. A new ring and pinion costs $500, I'm searching for another Toyota that uses the 6.7" rearend and has a 4.1:1 ratio stock. I think some of the vans do.
Sounds like it is some work to have the disc brakes. I'm sure that the car's brakes will be much better. Either way it sounds like it requires some money to do the upgrade.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Thereminator wrote: Easy...Fun...Educational,and a good~way to show that Smart~a#s Go~cart~kid up! B)
As for now my dad might decide to put it away at work so that it doesn't end up charred from the heat as I think it's been too long in the heat and it's starting to smell funny when blazing hot inside. I have no where else to put it. I would like to check that out before he takes it away for awhile though. As for that go-kart kid- even though he's only one year younger that I am he's going to get a chance to get a taste of my Tercel dust early next year when I get my driver's license. He has a small go-kart with a Briggs and Stratton engine and I have to admit it is pretty fast, although he can legally drive it on the street as he does. He has a problem when I'm checking my car out; when I was checking my hoses he said that I was too excited about the car. None of his bee's wax!
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The Tercel can own any Briggs & Stratton go-cart. Just look out for the 2-stroke ones, they might be trouble.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

3A-C Power wrote: The Tercel can own any Briggs & Stratton go-cart. Just look out for the 2-stroke ones, they might be trouble.
Why are the 2-stroke ones trouble. I'm sure he has the 4-stroke one and it backfires a lot and its annoying. I made a mistake- he can't drive it legally on the street. So much for proofreading.