4AGE Conversion - Flywheel

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Starfire

4AGE Conversion - Flywheel

Post by Starfire »

Hi Guys,

I know that most of you consider a 4AC swap to be a good one for these cars but I am currently in the process of putting a bigport 4AGE 16v in to my '84.

The problem that I have run in to is that the flywheel from the AE82 corolla will not fit in the Tercel bell housing. To combat that issue I will be swapping the flywheel and clutch from the 3AC on to the 4AGE.

Unfortunately the 3AC flywheel is held on by 6 bolts while the 4AG has 8. I see two possible options here. One is to have my stock flywheel welded up and redrilled to fit the 4AG crank and the other is to have a new flywheel machined up to match the 3AC one but with a 4AG bolt pattern.

Do you guys have any other suggestions? If I were to get a new flywheel machined would any of you guys be interested in getting one as well? If I can get enough interest I will have them made up on a CAD/CAM setup and get a reasonable price. If not I will either get mine patched or get one machined up by hand (it's cheaper to get one or two units done by hand than spend the time and effort setting up the CAD/CAM machines).

Other than the flywheel the conversion is pretty straight forward and easy enough.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

A custom, beefier, as-big-as-can-get, yet maybe lighter fly would be amazing.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Typrus wrote:A custom, beefier, as-big-as-can-get, yet maybe lighter fly would be amazing.
I agree.

Unfortunately there was a lack of interest getting these made up so I have settled on getting mine welded and redrilled to suit the 16V engine.

Sorry guys.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Man... Welding the holes in and redrilling just seems..... Creepy to me.... A lot of loaclized heat-stresses and soon... :shock:

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Welding and drilling isn't the best idea in the world but there are some important considerations:

The flywheel sits well forward of the firewall. In the event of a catastrophic failure it shouldnt enter the cabin.

The flywheel is relatively small. The forces acting on it are quite a bit smaller than that of a larger flywheel.

The modifications are being done by a professional engineer with professional equipment. It's not being done by a fat guy with a stick welder and a power drill.

The entire flywheel will be heated before being welded, machined flat, drilled and balanced.

I will be installing a scatter shield around the bell housing made of steel.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I really want to install a 4age in my tercel, but my wife says NO! :( Says I have enough projects on the go... One of these days I guess.

Starfire, thanks for asking us anyhow. I think there are lots here who would have been interested, it's just that a 4age swap is a fairly involved and possibly costly project that most of us are not ready to do just yet.

Keep us informed of your progress though! I've only seen pics of one tercel 4wd wagon with a 4age in it, and it was in Japan. If you are able to document some of the challenges you came up against, and post them here sometime too, we'd really appreciate it. Also, please do take lots of pics.

Thanks again.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

GTSSportCoupe wrote:I really want to install a 4age in my tercel, but my wife says NO! :( Says I have enough projects on the go... One of these days I guess.

Starfire, thanks for asking us anyhow. I think there are lots here who would have been interested, it's just that a 4age swap is a fairly involved and possibly costly project that most of us are not ready to do just yet.

Keep us informed of your progress though! I've only seen pics of one tercel 4wd wagon with a 4age in it, and it was in Japan. If you are able to document some of the challenges you came up against, and post them here sometime too, we'd really appreciate it. Also, please do take lots of pics.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the replies. So far this has been a pretty easy conversion. I still have to address the issues of exhaust system, fuel system and altenator. As it stands the altenator bracket doesnt fit and is in the way of the front engine mount.

Ive been taking some photos and will do a bit of a writeup.

To have my flywheel modded is costing me $100 aud.

So far the whole thing has cost me $300 aud for the engine and about $12 for degreaser.

I will have to do a little fabricating work but for the most part it's all bolt in.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Interestingly my other car is a supercharged AW11 :)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Starfire wrote:Interestingly my other car is a supercharged AW11 :)
Nice!! I own an AW11 too, and love it! It's my 'other' project car. It only has a 16V 4age right now, but I plan on either a custom 4age 20v turbo, or a 3SGTE swap. I'm leaning towards the 20V, as I could do it in stages and I think it would be cheaper. A few years ago I put a 4AGZE into my AE86 Corolla GTS - no traction, but lots of fun!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

You do indeed need to use the engine mounts from the 3AC. This means that you will have a lot of trouble installing a GZE as the supercharger goes where the passenger side (in the US) front engine mount and silly little shock absorber thing bolts on to the engine.

If you really want forced induction go for a turbo setup, but the tercel will never be a performance car.

The 7A is a pretty poor choice of engine. The only reason I would use one of them is if I couldnt afford a 4AGE - it has the same amount of torque and more power. They are also not as strong as the 4AG.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

But its 1.8L with an economy head. Put a 4AGE head on it and it'll pep up a bit.
Not as strong? I've heard otherwise.

The advantage is more torque, supposedly. But a good deal of the torque properties of the "F" series is due to the cam timing and economy valve angle. As with ours, it is set such that torque is priority. The "G" heads are HP heads. More HP than ft/lb.

As far as I understand anyway.

Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Hey, let me know how it all goes, I am gonna do the same swap this fall. I finally have all stuff I need (having inherited another 'Rolla GTS to add to the collection) and I am having the manual tranny I picked up worked over by a buddy of mine. I don't see it as being that tough of a conversion, except I am gonna try to fab a new dash to use all of the gauges out of a 89 GTS, so that will be the most labor intensive.

There are several other threads on here dealing with this and similar conversions, if I remember correctly.

BTW, the low mile 4AC will be put into the 89 donor car and will hopefully be set up for dirt track racing by next season. Yeah, I am trying to see how much I can piss off the old lady....

Fingers
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terceldude wrote:
I don't plan on just doing a 7AFE swap. I plan on using a beefed up 7AFE block and putting a super-beefed up 4AGE 20V head on top...
Innocent question, terceldude: Exactly what do you do to "beef up" the block and the head? Why won't the stock block/head withstand the rigors you want to impose on them?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I think he means things like balanced and ported... Not literally beefed up, but rather powered up. I think thats what he means anyway.

ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Oh...
I thought he was aware of porting and polishing and matching and balancing already...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain