4AGE Conversion - Flywheel

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Here is a test fit of the engine in the car. The welded flywheel turned out to be crap and I am currently having a custom one made up out of a high impact steel alloy.

As you can see I will have some clearance issues with the inlet manifold. I am not sure what I am going to do about that. Cutting a hole in the bonnet has plenty of appeal :)
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

you should get a rws manifold on that engine i believe it will cure your ailments, also it would be easier to put a decent filter, or piping
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

The car is nowhere near ready to run at the moment. I am currently working on getting it prepped for painting - I cant do any engine work 'till I get my new flywheel anyway.

The engine is naturally aspirated so no boost I'm afraid.

The RWD manifold probably does sit lower but they are quite expensive and hard to find.

Because the engine in the tercel sits so far forward there is plenty of room for inlet piping to make a 90 degree turn and head over to the passenger side of the car (dont forget Australian cars are RHD).
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

I just want to know how the wiring goes.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Wiring shouldn't be too much of an issue as I have the full AE82 loom and ECU from the donor car.

I removed it all without cutting anything.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

The guy is a local fitter and turner who works at a ship building yard.

I could probably get a couple made up but I'm not sure on the price. It would need to be paid in advance too as I don't think there would be much call for them in the wider community.
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

Aside from stripping and sanding there hasnt been much progress made on the tercel for the last fwe weeks. Mostly because work has been crazy busy (50 - 75 hours a week for the last 4 weeks).

2 very important things have happened in the last 24 hours though - I managed to secure a few days off, and I picked up my new flywheel and damn it's sexy.

I have since fitted it to the engine and fitted the engine to the car. Unfortunately it was getting a little dark by the time the engine was in so there are no decent pics of it. I'll try and remember to take one in the morning.

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

That flywheel looks awesome! Crap, I can't wait to see your project done, and hear about how it drives. Thanks for keeping us posted and for the pics.

Oh yeah, and if you really want a RWD 4age manifold, they are pretty cheap and in abundance here in Canada. I can keep my eye open for any for sale if you want. They'd probably be between $20-$50CAD plus whatever shipping would be.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I'd be very interested in a RWD manifold - as long as shipping isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg. Can you get an estimate to south australia (post code 5000)?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Starfire wrote:I'd be very interested in a RWD manifold - as long as shipping isnt going to cost me an arm and a leg. Can you get an estimate to south australia (post code 5000)?
It's probably easier for you to look up a price estimate on a shippers website. Just go to FEDEX, DHL, or UPS's website, and you can get an online quote there. You'll want to select the ground option to get the best pricing. Origin location for the shipment will likely be Vancouver BC, Canada. Destination would be your address.

I don't have a manifold myself to sell, but I could let you know when I see one come up for sale, and put you in contact with the person. You can also just keep your eye on this Canadian AE86 forum: http://www.dorikaze.com/index.php . You will need to sign up though. 4age parts are always comming up on there. You shouldn't have to pay anymore than $50 CAD.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

As you can see the engine is in. The car has also been stripped quite a bit and the windscreen has been removed due to there being rust around the edge of it that I have to repair.

I did a little more bogging and sanding today but work was primarily focussed on fixing the AW11.
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

AWESOME!! That's really great to see!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS