Checking the manual trans oil level....

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I've found what I think is a good method to check the manual trans gear oil level without having to put the car on a lift.

According to the manual, the car needs to be level, and to get it that way and be able to get under it, practically speaking, it has to be on a rack. You are supposed to check the level at the plug at the back; which seems to be about 1/2" above the other side plugs. Also, you are supposed to LOOSEN one drain plug in the middle of the trans...I guess to allow the oil to level out in the trans.

My method involves simply drivng the car up on ramps at the front and then loosening the side plug (24 mm or 15/16" socket needed) right next to the drive axle on the drivers side. I put gear oil in this opening until it starts to run out.

Since this plug is about 1/2" lower than the plug you are supposed to use, and the car is up on ramps in the front...the oil level is still approximately the same when you are done.

While under the car, I'd check several places to see if you have any gear oil leaking from the transmission. If you do have leaks, you'll need to check the level more often.

* Check both axle seals where they come out of the sides of the trans...look for a drop of gear oil hanging on the housing beneath the axles.

* Check the 4WD actuator shaft (at the back of the trans - drivers side) where it comes out of the trans...you might notice a drop of gear oil on the ball joint beneath the arm.

* Check the output shaft seal on the shaft that goes back to the rear axle. Look for a drop of oil.

At any of these places, an oil stain covering an area might not be too big a deal...if you see a drop of gear oil hanging on something...you might have a serious leak.

I might have "fixed" an oil leak at the 4WD actuator shaft on my trans by wrapping some cotton sewing thread 7-8 times on the shaft right next to the trans housing and tying it off. This acts a a secondary oil seal...at least this has worked over winter. Last time I checked it I had lost about 1 pint of oil from this opening in 3K miles...at this last check it the level was still OK.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I might have a serious oil leak on my dad's 83 because there is gear oil hanging from the middle of the tranny close to the drain plug if I remember correctly.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

tercel4wdrules wrote:I might have a serious oil leak on my dad's 83 because there is gear oil hanging from the middle of the tranny close to the drain plug if I remember correctly.
What I mean by "serious" is just that you need to check the trans oil level to see if it's down any.

If you see a drop, it could be dripping every 15 mins or 1 time a week.

Maybe you could look where you park the car to see if it is seriously dripping oil.

Also wipe the area on the trans near the leak clean to try to see where the oil is coming from.

Main problem areas are the two front axle seals, the rear driveshaft seal, and the 4WD shifting thing...far as I know.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...