Part Interchangeability

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Hello all!

I have a question for you guys. There is a '83 4 door hatchback for parts. Is it possible to take the strut inserts, front diff and CV joints, quarterpanels, etc. from it? I also want to possibly take the engine, carb, air cleaner, radiator, alternator, etc. from it so I can use those parts for the 83 and 84. I should do a compression test before I take that engine. If it's already pulled out and if it has the starter still attached to the engine, can I can hook up a 12V battery to it so that I can check the compression? Are there any other parts that could be interchanged also? Thanks!
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Many of the parts are interchangeable, but some are definitely not. I can't confirm which are and which aren't without looking in the repair manual though (or in the Toyota Electronic Parts Catalog - have to install again). The engine will be completely compatible, except for a few differences (such as vacuum systems, and power steering/ ac etc). You can just take the parts that are different off of your old engine and put them on the new one.

The starter mounts on the bell housing of the transmission, so you can't turn the engine over without the bell housing attached to the engine.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

The front struts and the driveshafts are different but everything else will work. The driveshafts will fit but they are a bit shorter in the hatchback and could cause problems in the long run. The struts will fit but they're shorter so they will lower the front end.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Carlos,my carb is off an 84 Hatchback and it was exactly the same. B)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>