Reversing Switch

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
sharkey@zoic.org

Post by sharkey@zoic.org »

['83 Tercel SR5, Australian version]

Oh, the other question: the reversing light doesn't work, and it's not just a blown globe.
Anyone know where the switch is on the gearbox, and how to get to it? Can't see
anything obvious, but then the engine is pretty grubby :-).

Thanks,
sharks from Melbourne, Australia
sharkey@zoic.org
T Pie

Post by T Pie »

Just took a look at my US version. Single wire switch high on the left side of the case, just over half way back; two wire switch low on right. Both wires connect on top between the trans and the tunnel. One is the back up light switch, the other is the 4x4 indicator.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Got the same exact problem. Backup light switch is on the pass side (US) (I think)...2 wires. If you rule out the bulb, next step is to test the switch itself by putting things in the condition where it should work and testing to see if the switch has current and if it is allowing current to pass. Haven't done this myself yet. Looks like there might be a connx right on top the trans?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

sharkey

Post by sharkey »

T Pie wrote:Just took a look at my US version.  Single wire switch high on the left side of the case, just over half way back; two wire switch low on right.  Both wires connect on top between the trans and the tunnel.  One is the back up light switch, the other is the 4x4 indicator.
Thanks, T Pie. If it's half way back and on top of the transfer case, how on earth
do you get to it? From underneath?

I'm going to have to buy some of those little ramp thingies, aren't I ... argh, working
on bikes was never this painful :angry: ... but I think the reversing light is a roadworthy
test item (if there is one, it must work) so I'm going to have to sort it out!