Sounds like a horse!

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

Every so often, when i turn off the car the engine goes putt putt putt putt putt for a few seconds after. There's probably an obvious reason why this happens. Any suggestions as to how to fix it?
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

That's called dieseling, or run on. It's caused by preignition of the fuel from the heat in the cylinder. Compression that's too high due to carbon buildup can cause this. Also the book lists incorrect ignition timing as a cause.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

Probably carbon build up. What do you suggest to clean the carbon up?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I had a problem with dieseling on mine for a while too. I found that when I brought my idle speed down a bit to about 950 rpm (I had it too high at 1100rpm), my car stopped dieseling. Don't know why this helped for sure.

As far as decarbonizing goes, there are a few different methods floating around. I'll let a couple of the others who have good methods expand on this. What I do to PREVENT carbon buildup though is: run good clean gas. If you have Chevron in Florida, use their 91 octane or so. It has cleaning additives that I find to keep my engine nice and clean inside. Also, run some fuel system/carb cleaner through it once in a while. Most importantly though, keep your car well maintained. Check and replace if necessary: air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Make sure your timing is set right, and all your engine systems are running properly. Also, feel free to rev your engine high at full throttle every now and then when accelerating. (Hard in an auto though I guess).
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

Ah revving hard isn't hard in this auto, just shift it to neutral right before it's rdy to switch gears, and then drop it back down to D :P
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

If you want to rev up an auto don't you just have to floor it and it will downshift? ;)
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"