engine removal

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

ok i started my swap for my black top 4age...i have everything takin apart, engine does move about 1/2 inch then stops and starts lift whole car up...hmmmm i checked and double checked cant seem to find the problem. i have taken bolts off that shouldnt even stop the engine from lifting, but to no avail.

SIDE NOTE:::::
before lifting car i went to pep boys auto store and picked up an engine stand and walked past some wheel chocks and since i didnt have my rear wheels chocked decided to buy them. well when i tried to lift engine up the whole car went up so i just kept lifting. i lifted the car off the jackstands and it rolled backwards and hit the chocks....whew

should the car be on jack stands to remove engine or should the car be level?

right now its on jacks...haynes dont say anything about it and what the heck is an engine AIR/SUCTION filter....didnt know what that was so i skipped that step...

thanks
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

forgot to add that this is removing the 3ac engine not the 4age
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

weird...at the pep boys garage they lift most of the cars level to work on the engine. I'd probably lift it up level myself - easier to get to everything
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Stop lifting up the whole car before you break something! Is the engine fully detached from the transmission? If it's a manual, the engine needs to be pulled away from the transmission quite a bit to get the transmission input shaft out of the clutch assembly. If it's an automatic, have you gotten all the torque converter bolts out? And check everything else again. :)

By the way, Haynes is crap. Get a factory manual. ;)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

If it's a manual transmission it sounds like the input shaft has not come all the way out of the clutch disk. I was working on pulling the block out of my 86 tercel sr5 today. I took the radiator out, the front grill off, the headlights out, the bumper off, and the front top brace off. It only took about 45min to do this, and made tons of room to properly disconnect the engine from the transmission input shaft. It's the way to go.

Good luck.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Everybody, calm down.

The car really should be level, that way you don't have to force such a strong angle to tilt the engine.

Make sure you fully removed the shield that covers the bottom of the tranny, below the block. I missed one bolt, and it made me feel dirty.

Remove the front crossmember(grill,fan, etc.), as mentioned above. raise the engine enough to remove the motor mounts. Make sure your block-tranny mounts have broke free. And yank on the hoist with a vengance. Prying carefully at the block-tranny area will help, sometimes the pins get sticky. I think bumper removal may be a bit much, but that is just me.

I actually raised my tranny a bit to further decrease the angle to remove the engine. Jack and wood.

If it is a auto, I still think it was easier to remove by breaking the torque converter from the flywheel. Some manuals have this as remaining attached, but I think that is crazy talk.

Other than that, it is a lot of grunting and yanking at times.

Oh and make sure the crappy little shockie-think is disconnected. That p-ed me off as well.

good luck.

....was my write-up in vain, or just lacking....
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

thanks everyone...its done...the input shaft had not been removed from trans all the way...(didnt dawn on me about an input shaft, duh) as per your advice i removed the front stuff minus the bumper and that made it a lot easier. i didnt remove the 2 side brackets from transmission, figured just removing the engine bolts would be good but engine was hitting the bracket so had to remove bracket from trans also....didnt know there were 2 bolts for each front engine mount had to remove the bottom bolt also...after that found the oil pan was hitting the front stabalizer lifted the engine more and still was difficult so i jacked the trans up, as per more of your help, and she came out easier than popping a zit....

now the really fun part...removing the 4age from the corolla.....
question..... since the 4age is the same bottom end wouldnt it be similiar in removing??? and would you replace as many parts on the 4age as you can whether the parts are good or not before installing it in the terc? or what parts would you replace? ive already decided to replace the thermastat and all hoses and the timing belt, tensioner and spring....there is rust all over the place there due to no bottom timing cover, but what other parts would you replace if any????
thanks for all your help couldnt have gotten this far without it

one other thing if car was on stands the engine hoist wouldnt have lifted engine high enough so oviously i put the car on the ground..thanks
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I've pulled a 4age out of my AE86 before...but don't remember the details and tricks I had to do. :unsure: I used an engine crane for sure, and I think I had a jack under the transmission/bellhousing to relieve any stress between the engine and input shaft. I didn't have to remove anything in the front of the car except the radiator, although it might have been easier had I removed more. If I remember right, getting it out was easy.

You may have to use the oil pan from your old 3AC on your new 4age; not sure though. You'll also probably have to use the engine mounts from the 3AC. The tough part will be integrating the engine wiring harness to the tercel chassis harness, and getting your exhaust around the steering.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

BTW; I don't think the 4age you have is what people refer to as a 'black top'. Someone might have painted the valve covers on yours black though. A blacktop is the last generation 4age that never came to North America, it is from fwd vehicles. It has 5 valves per cylinder, quad throttle bodies, variable valve timing, and revs to 8500rpm. :D
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

valve covers black????????? i thought black top reffered to the letters....LMAO so i have a silver top..silver covers with black letters...damn i dont think sometimes...lol
Fingers
Top Notch Member

Post by Fingers »

Well, you might as well replace anything you can afford to. Even if the parts are good, they may go eventually. Unless the 4age is low miles.

All the stuff you listed is a must, If I were to consider amy other parts, hmmm, I would say the water pump, all gaskets, and generally anything that will be difficult to get to after the engine is installed. If it is a higher mileage engine, maybe the oil pump and look into the freeze plugs, this may be the time to replace them as well.

Yeah, the oil pan and mounts will need to be used (replace the mounts if they are shabby, with the added power old mounts may self-destruct).

I can't wait to hear about the progress, especially the exhaust issues. But a good exhaust shop should be able to fab one up. The wiring will probably be best just ripped out and replaced with the donor cars. Are you going to swap in any gagues from the 'rolla, if it has em? There isn't a lot of real estate in the cluster, but it would be cool if you kept the driving view having a stock appearance.

Oh, and the air-suction thingie, if it is what I am thinking of, allows fresh air to be pulled into the cat. converter so the exiting fumes can be better 'burned' in the converter, resulting in lower emmisions.
86 Tercel Wagon 4WD, 4AC, 3sp Auto. (2) 89 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE. 87 Corolla GT-S, 4AGE, SOLD! 68 Mustang Fastback, 351c.i.=>429c.i., 3 Speed Manual, 10 Year Plan. 66 Mustang GT350, 289c.i., 4 Speed Manual, SOLD!

Helliphino.com