Rims

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Rims

Post by tabercro »

I've searched around on the forum and seen lots of opinions on going bigger with wheels. What if I want to stay close to standard?

I currently have what I've been told are Honda 14" wheels. But my hubcaps don't fit. I'm not looking to oversize my tires. In fact I'm interested in what is most efficient. What are the best options for original that hubcaps fit, or other options?

Thanks.
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Rims

Post by dlb »

Whatever tire and wheel size you prefer is fine. There is no definitive "THIS SIZE IS THE BEST." If you want to maximize fuel economy or more ground clearance, go with bigger overall. If you want more responsive acceleration, stay stock. If you just want something that looks good to you, go with that.

If you just want your hubcaps to fit, just go back to your old wheels. Do you still have them? I assume they are steelies. And if you want the look of the stock wheels but a larger overall diameter, there are certainly options for bigger 13" tires. The biggest I ran was 185/80r13.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

thin, taller tyres are better for economy but also look at the tyre brand, pressure and tread pattern for the terrain you have. I'm not sure about the hubcaps. are they just plastic pep boys press on? why not have a look for a set of lightweight Miata alloys they will be more efficient and look better than hubcaps.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

I really like my 14" Miata "daisies"- run 'em on all 3 of my road-legal Tercel wagons. Center hole is the same diameter as our cars, offset is good, they have steel inserts for the wheel lugs, and there's just enough clearance at the brake caliper. My 4WD cars are great with 185/70 Michelin tires (I'm more concerned with ride quality than all-out handling or economy.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the stock steel wheels that use the factory hubcaps are somewhat flexible, not in a dangerous way, but going to an alloy wheel makes a noticeable difference in handling, ride and steering responsiveness. if you want to stay with a stock 13" wheel, look for the "pizza cutter" style factory alloys (kind of rare, but there may be member's on this forum with a set to sell).

going to a 14" wheel, with the same overall dia. tire, means the side wall height is less, and that will also improve handling and responsiveness, and you have many more tire options in 14". the toyota "triangle" MR2 wheels are 14" and look great, also popular as noted, are the Mazda Miata 14" alloy wheels. those are fairly easy to find cheap on craig's list or on Miata or MR2 forums because many upgrade there wheels and are happy to get $100-200 for there old wheels.

the larger, more stiff and lighter alloy wheels will noticeably improve the steering responsiveness, and handling. plus they look great.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Post by tabercro »

Thanks for the input. I have 14" wheels now, and I thinK I'd like to stick with them. I like the look fo the MR2 wheels.

If anyone has any leads on some in the NorthEast, please let me know. I'll also post looking for some.

-Tom
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I think MR2 triangles look perfect on our cars but are absolutely horrible for snow packing. If you play in the snow often, 5 spoke wheels with large windows are best. Have a wood or plastic poking tool also.