Can 2WD Fuel pick up assembly work in 4WD?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Can 2WD Fuel pick up assembly work in 4WD?

Post by marlinh »

Hello everyone. I know this has been discussed before but after doing a search, I couldn't find the specific posting.
I am wondering if a 2WD tube assembly can be modified to fit one of our cars. I can find a new to buy and am willing to risk bending the pipes to make it fit. Has anyone been successful with this modification? I believe someone had a problem with it interfering with the float. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Can 2WD Fuel pick up assembly work in 4WD?

Post by rer233 »

i've got both at home- will check tonight and get back to you.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Thanks!
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Oops- just re-read your post- I don't have the fuel pickups- just the gauge sending units. Sorry!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the two tanks have different shape and depths, but the top flange is the same as I recall. I was given a FWD wagon in trade, for parts. I stripped it of all identical parts, and junked the rest of it. I saved the fuel level sender because it looked similar enough that it could be made to work I think, or at least the parts can be swapped over. But the tank in the FWD wagon goes under the rear seat, it is wider, and shorter, and nothing is the same about it since it is in a different location.

It can be made to fit, and as you surmised, it may need to be bent to get the fuel out. I do not recall how different it is, the sender has a different length of swing in the arm. as I recall the pick up goes into a recess or small sump in the bottom of the tank so it is gets most all of the fuel out of the tank. if a different one is installed you will have to get it as close as you can to the location of the correct one or you will not be able to use all of the fuel out of the tank. not such a big deal except you will carrying around the extra weight of the fuel that you can never use.

Can you repair your old one? or is it too far gone? Seems you can silver solder or epoxy in a new tube to the top flange, and add a pick up screen out of something newer and more common.

edit: I just did an image search for a "totota fuel tank pick up tube" and found the '80's forerunner one looks very similar to the T4wd. seems there should be an after market one of those available perhaps.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

Well, I ordered one from a local parts store. Since it is still available, I'm going to give it a shot and update this post.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

If it fits the tank hole but doesn't reach bottom there is a solution. Add some submersible fuel hose with a weighted filter screen on the end. Regular fuel hose is NOT resistant to gasoline on the outside. Tygon and other similar hose can work, but the submersible rubber seems heavier duty.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by marlinh »

It does bolt up to the 4WD tank. The 2WD pick up is too short to reach the bottom of the tank, and also, the external pipes are oriented in a totally different direction that can't be corrected by a simple bend. I guess, in a pinch, splatterdog's suggestion would work. Longer hoses could be added to the external pipes but I am not sure of the clearance when the tank is installed. Since I decided to return the pick up, I didn't experiment with it.