Chassis Swap with 1st gen Tacoma

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Lil'Cado
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon 4X4

Chassis Swap with 1st gen Tacoma

Post by Lil'Cado »

I bought a 1986 Tercel 4wd last summer and I was trying to find the parts for a barto lift or similar here in Canada. I was hard pressed to find any. I recently stumbled across a 1st Gen Tacoma chassis in great condition, including; 4" skyjacker lift, solid axles, 5 speed manual, transfer-case, brakes, 35" tires on 15" rims, and a fuel tank. My question is 'has anyone done this swap before?' 'do you have any tips/tricks/suggestions' and if no one has 'why not?' and 'did I bite off more then I can chew/open a whole new can of worms?'
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: Chassis Swap with 1st gen Tacoma

Post by rer233 »

Gonna be a lot more than a "swap"- Tacoma is separate body and frame- Tercel is unibody. You're pretty much gonna hafta fabricate everything! Not worth it IMO.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Lil'Cado

Post by Lil'Cado »

Okay, from my understanding of the tercel it looked to be body on frame. I guess I was wrong lol. Time to get dirty!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

There is a lot of mash ups with Tercels around the internet but only one successful registered one. A lot of work. https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc ... terrunner/

We covered it here. viewtopic.php?t=10407.

Keep looking for the parts. for instance I have Mazda 626 rear air shocks on my Tercel to raise it. There is a lot of options.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Lil'Cado

Post by Lil'Cado »

Thank you. Starting to make more and more sense. I guess I was a little gun-ho this time around. I'm excited to solid axle swap this project though, I think it will give it and awesome stance and will shine at the car meets.