Gear box issues...any experience out there?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Chuck Perrine

Post by Chuck Perrine »

Just aqcuired one of these rigs, for chead as the gearbox is hosed. 1st gear is gone, clutch ok far as I can tell. Just won't go into 1st, all other gears work fine...I think the gearbox is in need of a rebuild. Anyone ever attempt such a task? Just wondering what I am up against, I would rather not buy a new gearbox as they about 400 bucks for a USED one. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

Chuck Perrine
Lafayette, CO
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

There are threads about gearbox work. One has had the 4WD gearbox rebuilt with custom components and was running over 200 horsepower on it. I think rebuilding with new synchros and bearings is a good idea if you're patient and mechanically inclined. You don't need all of the special tools mentioned in the book.
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I guessed I missed those threads on the gearbox rebuild, point me in the right direction, sorry if this is a newbie idiot thing...Chuck Perrine

many thanks!!!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

The trans in these cars is supposed to be fairly easy to remove. Of course...everything is easy when you are doing mechanical work on a keyboard..... <_<

Sounds to me like you might just have a sheared pin or something fairly simple...maybe somebody tried to ram it into 1st and sheared a yoke pin or bent a yoke.

One thing you should try is to remove the center console around the shifter and remove the dust boots.....put some oil down on the ball & socket where the shifter comes out of the trans...use gear oil...might even fix it somehow. :huh:

Check the oil level?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Have you checked your local Budgit J~yard? around here(San Diego)they would cost somewhere around $75 if you pull it yourself and that should be more cost efective. :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Advanced Member

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys,

i will try looking at these things. I have called around for a used gearbox and man the cheapest one I could find was $350.00 seemed kinda steep to me! One guy wanted $1000.00 I told him no thanks, that is why I was going to pull it out and try to rebuild it...but if it is a simpler fix then by all means I will try that first of course. Any other thoughts or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!! Chuck Perrine