Headlight Compatibility

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
jameshewitt95
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel, AusDM, extra moss.

Headlight Compatibility

Post by jameshewitt95 »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows/has tried sourcing headlights from other Toyotas of this era. Tercels are very rare in Australia, but Corollas were sold by the dozen to people here it seems.

Searching through the forum didn't seem to reveal anything that wasn't inter-generational swaps.

I have an 86 wagon I have been getting running again, it's all going fine, but one of the headlights has only 1 mounting point remaining on it, and there is also not long left before the underside housing crumbles into oblivion. Realistically I'd like to replace both lights, but the one that has no mount issues thankfully has ok reflector material, so it will do for now.

This isn't a daily, so if there is a swap that requires some modification (and therefore time), that is still appealing!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Headlight Compatibility

Post by Petros »

I have been looking around the wrecking yard at different car's head light assemblies to see if there was anything easy to adapt. I have a set of '88 Corolla compositing head lights that look promising, but I have not attempted it yet. however, the modern light weight plastic assembly would be save some weight, would not get damaged as easily from rocks, and would be much brighter, especially the newer LED type. but those are all specifically shaped for the newer steam lined vehicles they are designed for. it would make it look very ghetto to butcher in an ill matched headlight assembly into the Tercel. but it seems a better way to get a light, and bright modern LED head light arrangement.

There may be something out there that can be adapted, but I have not found it yet.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
jameshewitt95
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel, AusDM, extra moss.

Post by jameshewitt95 »

I had a quick google for pictures of some, and the AE82 light seems to be very close, they have a similar shape and mounting tabs as well.

They are getting quite sort after now unfortunately as well though. I'm going to the wreckers on Monday and I will try to find something similar. I will post what I find.

I had to tape the second to last mounting spur back on to the one in this photo 😬.

I call it the "Electronics engineer tries to solve a hardware problem" 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

You could perhaps convert it to the '83-'86 north American style sealed headlight; the headlight units are a generic part that's readily available. Maybe the appropriate buckets could be found on eBay or from a forum member?
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:43 pm You could perhaps convert it to the '83-'86 north American style sealed headlight; the headlight units are a generic part that's readily available. Maybe the appropriate buckets could be found on eBay or from a forum member?
I was thinking the same thing. Add Hella housings plus their high watt bulbs and it can't be any better without auxiliary lighting. Road signs hurt on high beam but critter eyes really stand out for a looong ways.