Request for a picture of a Stabilizer bar

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Request for a picture of a Stabilizer bar

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a 1987 Toyota Tercel DX Wagon RHD 1452cc manual driven car.

Stabilizer bar of my car was removed for a replacement of the lower arm bushings. I could notice that the to sides of the bar are not symmetrical. It should have bent for the time.

I did bent it to gain the symmetrical shape. But I have a doubt its shape could have been changed.

So I need a photograph of such a car stabilizer bar to check it.

I did search in the internet but couldnt find.

If someone can provide me a photograph of a such stabilizer bar it is a great help.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Request for a picture of a Stabilizer bar

Post by Petros »

I do not have any to photograph for you, but I have had them out of the car before and as i recall the rear bar is symmetrical. I can take a picture of one mounted in a car that is jacked in the air. I have my daily drive on jacks all pulled apart for a rebuild, and can snap a few pictures for you.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Dumindu wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:13 pm If someone can provide me a photograph of a such stabilizer bar it is a great help.
This is from a 1985 Tercel 4WD wagon - don't know how similar or different it is, as compared to one for a 1987.
~
SwayBar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you very much ALiveSR5 for the picture.

This is enough for me to figure out. Thank you Petros for yor willing to take some pictures.

My one is same as yours. I have traced your image as follows
SwayBar3.jpg
After I bent the bar now it is as follows. I marked the the change in blue.
SwayBar5.jpg
Before I bent the bar, BLUE-BLACK angle at the end was around 25 degrees in right and 15 degrees in left. It was the cause for the unsymmetrical nature. I bent the both of them up to 5 degrees.

My lower control arm bushing collar is oriented towards the rear now. Before the bent, it was towards the front. If it is oriented towards front, previous shape before the bent is easy to install. But if the collar is towards rear, present shape is easy to install. Is your lower control arm bushing collar is towards front or back? (it should be towards back as in FSM)
a1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Dumindu wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:04 pm Thank you very much ALiveSR5 for the picture.

Is your lower control arm bushing collar is towards front or back? (it should be towards back as in FSM)
You are welcome - glad it helped. :D

In your other post about the bushings, the photos show their correct orientation. Petros also made an interesting point about them, too.

As I was told, the stabilizer bar is made of spring steel and should not be heated or welded with a torch, because it will ruin the temper and make it useless or dangerous to use.

So, I am not understanding how yours got bent, as you described, unless it has weakened from rusting or heating it.

Because the stabilizer is spring steel and designed to stabilize, I understand that it is very difficult to install - some people have used ratchet straps to pull the ends together enough so it will fit into the control arms, for assembly.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the sway bars are all identical in all years of Tercel4wd. it could get bent in an accident, it can be bent back. it would be a lot of effort, some kind of jig to hold it down, and a very long pipe over the end to bend it into position.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

What I was getting from his description was that the bar was not bent but he assumed that the ends should easily fit into the control arms, without effort, instead of squeezing/pulling the ends inward, with some kind of ratchet strap or something, to make it fit.

From his drawings, it looks like he bent the bar ends inward, somehow, to make it fit without pulling the ends inward. Having done that, it would appear that the tension of the bar would be somewhat lost, thus reducing the effectiveness of the bar, maybe?

I do not know enough about this to offer anything more.
~
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

ALiveSR5 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:49 am What I was getting from his description was that the bar was not bent but he assumed that the ends should easily fit into the control arms, without effort,
unless he and you understand the word "symmetrical" differently, this is what he wrote in the first post:

" I could notice that the to sides of the bar are not symmetrical. It should have bent for the time.
I did bent it to gain the symmetrical shape. But I have a doubt its shape could have been changed."

I assume this means one side was not symmetrical with the other. that could happen in an accident, or even striking a curb too hard on one side when parking. so he bent it back, but appears to be concerned now that the shape is correct.