86 SR5 4x4 Wagon

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SamiDabettaone
My tercel:: 1986 sr5 4wd wagon

86 SR5 4x4 Wagon

Post by SamiDabettaone »

I have a 86 SR5 4x4 Wagon currently. I need a new alternator and I cannot find a used one. If I go to a parts store I spend about $200 on a brand new one and it takes about 3-5 days to come in. I cannot afford a brand new one including the price to have it installed. And all the Salvage Yards in my area I've gone to only to find out that none of them have my car or if they do the engine is gone. I was hoping someone could help me out by telling me a different year or different model Toyota that's compatible with mine. I've searched these forums and I cannot find anyone else who has asked this question. Please get back to me asap if you can help me because my car is my life currently and having it not running is putting my job and so much more at jeopardy.
Thank you and have a better day then me
Sami
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: 86 SR5 4x4 Wagon

Post by BaileySims »

WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

This is a good question. do other cars with a 3a, 4a or 4afe even have an alternator that fits. Hey Sami where do you live? perhaps someone is parting one out near you?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Sami,

Welcome to the site. As Mattel queried, your location would be helpful. I am in the Midwest US and likely have an alternator off an 84 parts car. If the plug connections are the same as my 85' (I just haven't looked), I could test it on my car and sell one. However, it sounds like you want/need something quicker. If money is as tight as you say, it's time to install the replacement alternator (when you find one) yourself. It's not a difficult job and if you are going to count on a 35 year old car, tools/wrenching is virtually a requirement to keep it affordable. With location provided, somebody close may even give you a hand.

Chris

PS - If you happen to be in Spokane, WA, there should be somebody reasonably close.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

reversing the reference the alternator part number it is applicable to '86 through '88 tercel, likely all models. I know the same year corollas are very similar, likely larger (which would still work fine), but they would not cross reference. I know of people installing a larger Toyota truck alternator in their Tercel, but that may require swapping out the connector, which is not difficult, but it not really something for first time self wrencher.

I highly recommend to NOT buy a remanufactured alternator, many are junk. buying a new replacement is always better, and they are not difficult at all to replace your self. or perhaps with the help of a handy friend, it should not take very long at all.

are you certain it is the alternator? is the belt tight? are the contacts at battery clean? check those first, often that is where the problem is. many stores like Autozone will test yours for free to verify it is indeed the alternator, or the a bad battery.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

SamiDabettaone wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm I have a 86 SR5 4x4 Wagon currently. I need a new alternator and I cannot find a used one.
Hey Sami,

I have this one available, right here on this forum, though it is from a 1985 Tercel 4WD SR5, not a 1986.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15308

Where are you located? What seems like a fair and reasonable price to you?

You are welcome to PM me, to work out the details.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
FriendOfEvanW
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel DX Wagon 2WD

Post by FriendOfEvanW »

Replacing the alternator yourself is one of the easiest repairs, and it's always satisfying to fix it yourself. They're pretty much plug & play; all you need is a socket wrench, crescent wrench, and a prybar or similar chunk of metal to pull the belt tight while you tighten.
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

And disconnect the battery first!