PCV hoses

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
simon84
Top Notch Member

PCV hoses

Post by simon84 »

The pcv on the terc has a rubber hose that goes to the base of the carb. There's another rubber hose that comes off the valve cover right behind the pcv and goes to the air cleaner. Wondering why 2 hoses? And I'm thinking of just blocking up the non-pcv valve hose since that one tends to put oily black crap on the inside of the air filter and into the carb. Is that a good/bad idea to block off that hose?

FYI It's a 4A with Weber carb, but that should not really matter as far as I can tell.

Thanks!
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Re: PCV hoses

Post by Mark »

The PCV hose is the one that sucks gases from the valve cover (and crankcase) into the intake. The other hose allows clean air to flow in and replace it. If you block off that hose, the gases out/fresh air in flow won't work. If oil is coming out of the hose going into the intake, your cylinders probably have a lot of blowby or your PCV valve is clogged or stuck shut.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you need both hoses, as stated one draw air and gases out of the crankcase (through the valve cover) and the other is a clean air source for air to go in.

Make sure the pcv valve is good (clean it and see if it will blow one way and be stopped the other way), if not good replace it. Auto parts stores sell generic ones that will work fine, they do not cost much. you might try adding some "Restore" to the engine oil before a longer driving trip, that should help seal the rings. If that does not help, likely you will need to rebuild it soon.

As a last resort before you rebuilt the engine, you can add an oil recovery tank plumbed into the PVC hose like the one in the link, they also do not cost much, and keep the carb and intake air filter clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Alumin ... mozilla-20
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
simon84
Top Notch Member

Post by simon84 »

Thanks!
It's a rebuilt engine with about 50k miles on it. So I'll be checking that PCV valve! If that's ok then I guess I should check the compression. I have not driven it in a year now but I don't think it was burning oil.

Take care
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)