Original equipment rear shock repair on 1984 Terc

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
mountaindude
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984, 1985

Original equipment rear shock repair on 1984 Terc

Post by mountaindude »

The saga of my poor little car. I picked it up used some 12 years ago from a seasonal employee going back to Brazil. It was a last minute sale as he was leaving the country. I picked it up for $400 with 141k on it.

I immediately replaced the timing belt when I got it. That was about it. It was used as a secondary car, we hauled garbage in her, she got me over the mountains when I started a new relationship, and kinda left her alone. She never once complained.
A couple of years ago, I replaced the CV axle on the driver's side and trans fluids.

This year, and for the next two winters before I retire, I was going to count on this car for treacherous winter driving to close out my time at work. I decided to go over the car really good over this last Summer.

In May my Dad died. Dealing with his affairs meant travelling back and fourth almost every weekend and not getting what I needed done to the Tercel.

I have been feverishly working on doing what is needed, most of which was still original equipment since 1984.
I did, fluids, new passenger CV joint, both struts, radiator, water pump, hoses, vac lines, thermostat, timing belt, lower timing belt pulley, tensioner pulley, upper and lower seals, valve cover gasket, pcv, TB cover gasket, ball joints, plugs and wires, cap/rotor, front discs and pads, volt reg.

Last weekend I got to the rear shocks. Oh man, this poor car. I think these are the originals! They even say Toyota on them and offer no resistance.

She cleaned up pretty nice. I still have stuff to do, but so far, just a great car.

dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Original equipment rear shock repair on 1984 Terc

Post by dlb »

wow, look at the bushing falling out of the lower shock mount. The engine bay looks beautiful. I love the raised Toyota writing on the valve cover on the 83 and 84's. Nice work.
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

dlb wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm wow, look at the bushing falling out of the lower shock mount. The engine bay looks beautiful. I love the raised Toyota writing on the valve cover on the 83 and 84's. Nice work.
Thanks. I may paint the raised letters on the valve cover, red.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Wow! Really nice! Best wishes with it.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

$400 for a good running Tercel4wd, that is a very rare and outstanding purchase. nice to see it getting the care it should get. it does not need much to keep it running almost indefinitely.

I drove a "rescue" Tercel4wd from Texas to Seattle that had all the shocks and struts completely gone. it was not bad on good hwy, but the crappy patched up freeways in California made it hard to control at freeway speeds. when I got it home I replaced much of the suspension parts, tires, struts, etc. cleaned up very nicely and was able to sell it for a good price.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

Petros wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:35 pm $400 for a good running Tercel4wd, that is a very rare and outstanding purchase. nice to see it getting the care it should get. it does not need much to keep it running almost indefinitely.

I drove a "rescue" Tercel4wd from Texas to Seattle that had all the shocks and struts completely gone. it was not bad on good hwy, but the crappy patched up freeways in California made it hard to control at freeway speeds. when I got it home I replaced much of the suspension parts, tires, struts, etc. cleaned up very nicely and was able to sell it for a good price.
Yes indeed, $400 was a great price. He wanted $1200 the week prior. I didn't think anyone would buy it. Kids all want new cars. When he told me that he was leaving for Brazil permanently, I told him to call me if he couldn't sell it.
He was desparate to sell it vs. leaving it in the USA. Yes, I took advantage. At the time it was registered in California and even passed SMOG.
mountaindude
Advanced Member

Post by mountaindude »

dlb wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm I love the raised Toyota writing on the valve cover on the 83 and 84's. Nice work.