Gears does not engage after some time on running

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Gears does not engage after some time on running

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

in my car, Gears does not engage after running for 15 minutes.
When stop and start again in 10 minutes will recover the problem.
But problem arises after 15 minutes again.

It seems due to that engine is still connected. Clutch is engaged.

Problem first starts with revers gear. There is a grinding sound. Gradually spread to other gears. If I run for longer, all the gears engage.

I could not find any problem with cable connections or gear shifter connection. I have adjusted the cable but still problem persists.

Where could be the problem?
Last edited by Dumindu on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Gears are difficult to shift after some time on running

Post by Petros »

do you have an automatic transmission?

if so, add some auto trans treatment known as a "valve body cleaner" and drive it for a number of days, make sure you get to hwy speeds so it gets good and warm. than you can change the ATF with quality fresh ATF per the factory recommendations. usually that will solve a shifting issue with an automatic transmission.

if you have a manual transmission, there is something similar you can try: run a 50/50 mixture of Auto trans fluid (ATF) and cheap gear lubricant, drive it for a few days and with it good and warm, drain it out and install good quality multi vis gear lubricant. that helps with shifting.

both of these flush out sludge and particle build up in the transmission that can cause shifting problems. usually it will help, often make the problem go completely away.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Re: Gears does not engage after some time on running

Post by Dumindu »

Sorry Mr.Petros, I was wrong with language.

It is not the difficulty in shifting. Gears does not engage. It seems due to that engine is still connected. Clutch is engaged.

I edited the question.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Dumindu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:14 am Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.
It seems due to that engine is still connected. Clutch is engaged.
Let me see if I understand this issue.

You can drive your car and shift gears normally, for about 15 minutes.

Then the clutch will not disengage and allow you to shift gears, without grinding.

After the car sits for about 10 minutes, you can drive and shift gears normally, again, for another 15 minutes.

The process repeats.

Does the clutch peddle press down very easily or does it take some effort?

How far out does the clutch peddle need to come away from the floor, before the clutch engages?

If the clutch peddle works very easily and/or has to be let out all the way, before the clutch engages, it could be that the clutch disc, pressure plate, and throw out bearing need to be replaced.

The clutch peddle has an adjustment and the service manual (or other source) can tell you when it is at the end of the adjustment range. So, even though you adjusted the cable, it may be at the end of its range. If the adjustment is at the end of its range, there is a good chance the clutch disc is worn out.

How many miles or kilometers does this clutch have on it?

If the problem is any more complicated than what I suggest, you will have to wait for someone with more knowledge than I have to help you fix the problem.

Best wishes.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Clutch is now hard to pedal.

Even if I just put foot on the pedal with a minimum force it disengages and power decreases. I need to fully get out the foot to supply the full power to the wheels.

When Grinding starts, that is after 15 minutes on running, even I fully depress the pedal still engine pulls the wheels.
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Dumindu wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:15 pm Even if I just put foot on the pedal with a minimum force it disengages and power decreases. I need to fully get out the foot to supply the full power to the wheels.
My guess is that the clutch disc and the pressure plate are worn out.

Heat build up from driving the car likely causes the clutch disc and the surrounding metal to get extremely hot and expand, which may seize the clutch mechanism (this is just a guess, too).

Likely, the throw out bearing is worn out, too, but it should be replaced anyway, if you replace the other parts.

The lever and fork that operate the throw out bearing should be checked, as well.

Before the clutch disc is replaced, it is usually recommended to have the fly wheel resurfaced.

Others more knowledgeable may other ideas about the problem or suggestions on how to fix it.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you for your valuable advice.

I found that the clutch cable was touching the sump of the engine. So I tightened the cable to the rack to be sit away from the engine.

I ran for more than 20 minutes today. But there wasnt that incident today. I guess that might be the cause. Will update you with further running.

Thank you very much.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like you fixed it. after you provided the additional information, I was going to say it sounds like an issue with the clutch cable, it does not allow the clutch to fully disengage. they can stretch and/or the automatic adjuster can not take up the slack, and cause that. you may also check that the automatic cable adjuster is working properly (it is those white plastic gear live segments at the top of the clutch pedal where the cable attaches).

if your cable is stretch a bit too much, you can try to make spacer or shim that goes along side the cable housing to space it back, where the cable housing mounts on the edge of the bell housing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Sorry I have a manual transmission.

Problem resolved after heat passage to the cable was interrupted by tightening the cable apart from the engine.

Heat expansion of the outer cable could be the cause. Since it is a spiral cable heat can cause lengthening it upto a noticeable amount.

Yesterday I ran upto 40 minutes continuously. But only a slight restriction was felt at the end.