transmission repair labor hours estimate help

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Elow
My tercel:: 86 DLX manual

transmission repair labor hours estimate help

Post by Elow »

Hi folks,
I am buying a car from a guy who is going to do the work it needs for me, so we are trying to get an objective estimate for labor hours, but none of the shops in town will give an estimate because they won't work on an 86 Tercel. Can anyone provide shop time for: replacing transmission input shaft bearings inboard and outboard, clutch disc, throw out bearing, pressure plate, pilot bearing, front cv axle output shaft seals and output shaft seal.
Thanks!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: transmission repair labor hours estimate help

Post by xirdneh »

The inner input shaft bearing is usually the one that goes bad. Have to take tranny apart to replace. It can be done without taking it totally apart but its not easy to do. so i prefer taking tranny apart. You can take it apart in less than thirty minutes. Putting it back together probably an hour or two if you do not fix anything else and know what your doing. How do you know the inner input needs replacing?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

just pulling the trans to replace the clutch and rear main seal about a 5 hour job if you have all the tools and correct parts, and have done it before. you will also need to replace the gear oil too.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mark
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1984 Automatic, 1981 sedan

Post by Mark »

I haven't bothered ever searching for it, but there are the official Toyota documents that give the set hours to charge for various jobs. The repair shops use these to decide what to charge customers. Personally, whenever I estimate how long it should take me to do a job, I should double or triple it to compensate for sheared-off or rusted/seized/stripped bolts, etc.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Thanks. that's helpful.
xirdneh wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:23 pm How do you know the inner input needs replacing?
When clutch is depressed car is silent when clutch is released it whines, will not engage forward gears but operates in reverse.

This is what the guy said he basing it off of. Hope that makes sense.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Mark wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:00 am Personally, whenever I estimate how long it should take me to do a job, I should double or triple it to compensate for sheared-off or rusted/seized/stripped bolts, etc.
Haha - it would take me and my son at least triple so that's why I'm asking him to do this one. I can do smaller things, but don't have time to get into something that I may not be able to get my way out of.
Elow

Post by Elow »

Petros wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 am just pulling the trans to replace the clutch and rear main seal about a 5 hour job if you have all the tools and correct parts, and have done it before. you will also need to replace the gear oil too.
Thanks so much! We're just trying to get a rough estimate. He has done it before, but its been a while since he's done one on one of his cars, so can't remember how long it took. Hopefully we found most everything we need unless something comes up when hes in there.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Your gears have lost their teeth
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

whats the toyota TSB about the upgraded internals?
Elow

Post by Elow »

xirdneh wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 pm Your gears have lost their teeth
You are absolutely right- how did you know?? I was just about to post about this. We just got the car in the shop and the trans taken apart and now we see that.
04C62A90-1A9A-44A3-9EA1-2DA07BBBAC62.jpeg
Can we find these somewhere?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Elow,

Xirdneh (better known as Robert Walker) will have access to parts. It may be easier to find a parts car or donor and swap the entire transmission.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Elow

Post by Elow »

Yes, thanks Ok. I guess our yard will turn into a Tercel lot!